• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Premolt- what to look for?

ethlynnn

Hi!! My female juvenile A. avicularia hasn’t molted yet so I know she will sometime.

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If shes premolt it could be a day or 2 before she molts that she will lay a web. Do you have cork bark/anchor points in the enclosure for her to web to? Avics like to make web tubes.

I've found it hard to tell with avicularia/caribena when they are premolt by looking at abdomen. Normally they'll start to refuse food although again my versicolor still ate a few days before

One thing I would say thou is if you suspect she is in premolt I'd recommend not removing her from her enclosure or handling. The "napping" in your hood could just be her feeling safe in an enclosed dark space.

ethlynnn

If shes premolt it could be a day or 2 before she molts that she will lay a web. Do you have cork bark/anchor points in the enclosure for her to web to? Avics like to make web tubes.

I've found it hard to tell with avicularia/caribena when they are premolt by looking at abdomen. Normally they'll start to refuse food although again my versicolor still ate a few days before

One thing I would say thou is if you suspect she is in premolt I'd recommend not removing her from her enclosure or handling. The "napping" in your hood could just be her feeling safe in an enclosed dark space.
Thank you!! She has a tall plant by her back wall and the back wall is rock so I’m sure she could use that to help build her web. She’s been in the spot where she dug all night last night so I’m wondering what she’s up to.

Nunua

3 Year Member
She has a tall plant by her back wall and the back wall is rock so I’m sure she could use that to help build her web. She’s been in the spot where she dug all night last night so I’m wondering what she’s up to.

Tarantulas, while in premolt, usually get more inactive as the old exoskeleton gets tight. Think of having too small clothes on. The abdomen gets darker and plump (difficult to see on some species) and the tarantula refuses to eat.

Overall tarantulas do not enjoy being held and it only stresses them out. Our skin also send an awful amount of neural signals to tarantula's sensitive setae (the long hairs all over their body) so they'll most likely get overwhelmed by them. The fact your Avic likes to stay in your hood is only because it's dark in there, so it calms down and stays hidden. Tarantulas do not take naps like rats, dogs, cats, etc.

In one photo it seems that you have kind of a hide in your Avic's terrarium - Some kind of log half on a ground level?
Avicularia species, just like other terrestrials, should have tall enclosures with several anchor points. The easiest way to design an enclosure for Avics is to think about the tree tops - Sufficient air flow (requires effective cross ventilation!) anf leafy branches. Also, when a cork bark or other hide like that is used, it's recommended to have it like a hollow tree trunk - "open on top", not sideways like with terrestrials. In this way Avics can build vertical web tunnel behind / inside it.

Arboreals may dig when being slings, but juveniles should start webbing relatively fast after getting used to the terrarium

I don't have a juvenile arboreals, but here are my enclosures for two slings: Caribena versicolor and Poecilotheria vittata to show what I do mean :)

Enclosure for C. (previously Avicularia) versicolor - Has heavy webbing on top of the enclosure, just like Avicularia species tend to do. Water dish (red bottle cap) is elevated as Avicularia species usually stay on top of the enclosure and won't go to the ground to find water.

f76862e17e.png

P. vittata - This is how I meant to put the wooden hide
7eb20888d7.png

Last edited:

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
image.jpg

This is where my c versicolor has chosen to web up and hide. It does have a cork bark available but it decided to go here. It'll molt in the web tube as it feels safe there.

Just going to add. I have 3 of these with lovely looking enclosures( if I'm being modest ☺️) but they all chose to ignore the cork bark lol. What can you do

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
Hi!! My female juvenile A. avicularia hasn’t molted yet so I know she will sometime. She hasn’t made a web, and she was seen today digging in her substrate quite a bit, so I don’t know what to look for. She always loves getting out and perching on me (she even napped in the hood of my sweatshirt today). Will she not want to do this during premolt? She has never showed threat posture or even felt threatened or stressed when being handled so I have no idea what will occur. Pls leave tips and suggestions below. Thank you for your time.

Tarantulas do not sleep,let alone nap and they don't enjoy things as their brain is incapable of it, tolerance is a better term, a T in premolt should be left alone as stress will make it harder for them to molt.

Latest posts