• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Premolt for sure!

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hi there,

Long time i didnt post something in here so good news my Brachypelma smithi is getting in premolt! :D now just wanted too know if i should take out the hide so she has more room for herself when she should go into molting could make it a lot easier :) well what do you guys think?

Attachments

• 20180314_114847.jpg
    20180314_114847.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 22

Nunua

3 Year Member
I agree with Enn, just leave the hide. She'll dig more space under it if she feels so. Being without the hide would most likely disturb her.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As you know, it is the rare T that molts out in the open (although I know Ennie has a few). They are so vulnerable in that stage—ripe for predators—so, they tend to hide. Even arboreals go into webs and burrow during this time. It’s frustrating cause I like to obtain a fresh molt for sexing purposes....but, better to be an unknown and safe T than one where you discover the sex and the T suffers.

PereSs

3 Year Member
Well you got that right :D she's pushing all of the substrate out of the hide lol, hopefully everything goes well! And soon enough we'll see a freshly molted B.Smithi :p

Attachments

• 20180316_121545.jpg
    20180316_121545.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 12

PereSs

3 Year Member
Hiya!

Had a question..

How long does the premolt take?

The abdomen is almost fully covered in light grey color and is swolen but its allready bein 3weeks... hopefully it is gonna molt soon because i'm a little worried now, because its gonna stay more then 2months mostly without eating... for now almost 3weeks it didnt eat + after when it molted well be exactly the same till she can start eating again... i hope she wont get weak and have difficulties while molting or such...

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She won't be weak or have troubles...thats why she's fat. They slow down their metabolism during pre molt. They have been know to go well over a year without food. As for how long it will take...only the Tarantula knows. My Brachypelma's have gone over 200 days before. After it does molt it will need to wait about 2 weeks before it eats...only water is needed after a molt. Water is the most important thing before and after a molt. Patience my freind.

Latest posts