• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Possibly getting my (unexpected) first scorpion. Tips for scorpion care?

Tyler Kuykendall

3 Year Member
I ordered three tarantulas, and unknown to me, a freebie was included. They said it was either a pinktoe tarantula or a desert hairy scorpion. I have no experience with scorpions.

For tarantulas, I use coconut fiber substrate; and as far as temperature, I maintain the basement at 70 degrees.

Do desert hairy scorpions require different substrate and/or any special heating (like a heat pad)?

I'd also be paranoid about a fire starting as a result of heating. Any advise as far as that?

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
You can keep the dune scorpion on coco husk. I've done it. They prefer something they can burrow into though if possible. Temp should be fine. They're nocturnal so shouldn't need any supplemental heat

MBullock

3 Year Member
Hadrurus require stable substrate, and fare poorly without a sand/clay mixture. They will feed and act 'normal' but their lifespan will be drastically reduced.

Latest posts