• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pokie Sling Molt Question

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I thought up some questions over the day and thought I'd post one tonight, to see if any one had information I may not know about my P. Regalis sling. It has molted once since being in my care however, gauging the time frame of the last molt she is I'd say about a week or two over due, I'm starting to worry a tad... She has been exhibiting what I assume to be pre molt behavior for the past 2 weeks (not eating) Showing little to no interest yesterday (she seemed to try and hit a cricket but left it alone when the cricket ran) So I suppose my question is... How often do they molt? What is a good feeding cycle? How long should I wait before I should worry? Am I being too over cautious and worrying over nothing?

Side note: P. Regalis though common, it's one of the T's of my dreams and I just want to ensure the health and well being of this amazingly beautiful little creature...

Thanks everyone!
Nate

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Growth rate depends on several factors including feeding frequency, temperatures, gender of the spider, etc. So unfortunately no one can really tell you how often it'll molt. As long as the abdomen isn't shriveled and there is a water dish available at all times, then there's nothing to worry about.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Growth rate depends on several factors including feeding frequency, temperatures, gender of the spider, etc. So unfortunately no one can really tell you how often it'll molt. As long as the abdomen isn't shriveled and there is a water dish available at all times, then there's nothing to worry about.
Hey Chubbs, thank you for the info! As for the water dish... I keep the humidity up so there is plenty condensation on the sides and on the lid to provide moisture for the T to drink due to its size, what do you suggest as a suitable water dish for something so small? I don't want to drown the poor little thing so I've been rather hesitant to put a dish of any real depth. Also I've posted pictures in an album so that I may get feedback on any health concerns my untrained eye does not pick up on.

Thanks again!
Nate

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hey Chubbs, thank you for the info! As for the water dish... I keep the humidity up so there is plenty condensation on the sides and on the lid to provide moisture for the T to drink due to its size, what do you suggest as a suitable water dish for something so small? I don't want to drown the poor little thing so I've been rather hesitant to put a dish of any real depth. Also I've posted pictures in an album so that I may get feedback on any health concerns my untrained eye does not pick up on.

Thanks again!
Nate
They actually won't drown. You can give it a bottle cap as a water dish.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Just an update: @Chubbs, it molted after all! Lol I'm going to assume it's a first time sling parent nervousness that got ahold of me lol thanks again for the info I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the near future

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just an update: @Chubbs, it molted after all! Lol I'm going to assume it's a first time sling parent nervousness that got ahold of me lol thanks again for the info I'm sure I'll have many more questions in the near future
No problem. It can be a bit harder to tell with Old World species since they have no urticating hairs and therefore don't get bald spots on the abdomen. Loss of appetite, hiding more, extra webbing, and an enlarged abdomen are usually good signs to look for.
Hope that helps.

Latest posts