• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poki victims, please share your stories!

Agno

3 Year Member
So...since I'm on and off on whether to get a Poki or not (which will eventually happen at some point) I've tried to research on their venom. Almost every case I've read has ended in the hospital in pain but with no life threating situation. Also, as far as I've read, there's no specific anti-venom or any standard treatment for it.
Some of the treatments used were: Morphine, Diazepam, Paracetamol, Benadryl, steroids and also supplements like Calcium, Vitamin D, Glucosamine and Magnesium for relieving the muscle cramps.
There was also a case in Srilanka where the patient was treated with intravenous Calcium gluconate injections (i'm attaching a PDF, hope it works).
I was wondering if any of the Poki species is less venomous than the others?!
Please all you Poki victims out there, share your stories!

Attachments

• 6136-21737-2-PB.pdf
    270.1 KB · Views: 27

Agno

3 Year Member
Oh and also, does it make any difference whether the Poki is a sling or grown up?!

Psyrocke

3 Year Member

Agno

3 Year Member
Thnx a lot! Will check right away! Kind of my fault for posting the question here, had to jump right away at the section you mentioned.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found This treatment when I was searching
"Cetirizine (10mg tablets), and Prednisolone (5mg tablets) – a steroid and an anti-histamine respectively. 10mg of each tablet each day, for five days".

Thistles

3 Year Member
Hmm I didn't get a notification! I just found this thread on my own. Sorry!

I wasn't properly bitten by that naughty sling, and I've never been bitten otherwise, so I've never personally experienced it. There are a lot of bite reports out there, and for sure the best approach is "don't get bit!" I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that the muscle cramping is pretty serious and if the wrong person got enough venom in the wrong spot, it could be extremely dangerous. Your heart's a muscle. You don't want that cramping! There have been people with cramping symptoms for up to 2 years after they were bitten.

There are YouTube videos, made by users who were bitten, talking you through their symptoms, and some other forums also have bite report sections more extensive than the ones here. I'd give it a googling and see what pops up.

With hot snakes, people are advised to get an aggressive nonvenomous snake first and to treat it as if it were venomous. Every time that water snake tags you, tell yourself that if it were your dream venomous snake you'd either be dead or the hospital would own your house. Once you're experienced and confident enough with your psycho nonvenomous snake, you can move up! Take a similar approach if you're not certain about the pokie. The best bet is to be confident in your ability to manipulate the spider safely for both of you and to remain calm should something go wrong.

Psyrocke

3 Year Member
Hmm I didn't get a notification! I just found this thread on my own. Sorry!

I wasn't properly bitten by that naughty sling, and I've never been bitten otherwise, so I've never personally experienced it. There are a lot of bite reports out there, and for sure the best approach is "don't get bit!" I'm not a doctor, but it seems to me that the muscle cramping is pretty serious and if the wrong person got enough venom in the wrong spot, it could be extremely dangerous. Your heart's a muscle. You don't want that cramping! There have been people with cramping symptoms for up to 2 years after they were bitten.

There are YouTube videos, made by users who were bitten, talking you through their symptoms, and some other forums also have bite report sections more extensive than the ones here. I'd give it a googling and see what pops up.

With hot snakes, people are advised to get an aggressive nonvenomous snake first and to treat it as if it were venomous. Every time that water snake tags you, tell yourself that if it were your dream venomous snake you'd either be dead or the hospital would own your house. Once you're experienced and confident enough with your psycho nonvenomous snake, you can move up! Take a similar approach if you're not certain about the pokie. The best bet is to be confident in your ability to manipulate the spider safely for both of you and to remain calm should something go wrong.

Maybe because I tried to tag you AND link you in the whole thing instead of just a piece of that sentence?

Agno

3 Year Member
I was confused at first because I was reading stories very different from each other:
1. there's those who state the Poki was just standing still on their hand and suddenly they got tagged.
2. there's others who admitted their fault in approaching them the wrong way.
3. there's those who have a lot of videos handling the Poki and everything seems fine.
I assume a tarantula can be unpredictable even for an experienced hobbyist since they are primitive creatures and won't be tamed so I understand that getting bitten means it's gonna be only my fault.
I've seen some pretty funny videos out there of FAIL rehousing, using some very 'creative' methods with paper tubes and stuff.... no wonder why some get bitten.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah these are wild animals without even a proper brain. They run on instinct and are highly unpredictable. Not every spider on your skin is going to try to bite, but some will. The safest course is to avoid letting them get onto you! I said before that I haven't been bitten, but there have been a few occasions on which hotter spiders have managed to crawl onto me, and in one case, up my pajamas (I was new to the hobby and an Idiothele mira wasn't in her burrow like she was supposed to be!). If you're hesitant, I'd suggest getting a Psalmopoeus (my loves <3) or a Tapinauchenius (Psyrocke's loves, lol) so you get used to super speed. Psalms are generally more defensive than Poecs and Tappies, so they can be your super aggressive water snake stand in.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah these are wild animals without even a proper brain. They run on instinct and are highly unpredictable. Not every spider on your skin is going to try to bite, but some will. The safest course is to avoid letting them get onto you! I said before that I haven't been bitten, but there have been a few occasions on which hotter spiders have managed to crawl onto me, and in one case, up my pajamas (I was new to the hobby and an Idiothele mira wasn't in her burrow like she was supposed to be!). If you're hesitant, I'd suggest getting a Psalmopoeus (my loves <3) or a Tapinauchenius (Psyrocke's loves, lol) so you get used to super speed. Psalms are generally more defensive than Poecs and Tappies, so they can be your super aggressive water snake stand in.
just saw this one also.

Crawled up your pajamas, i bet that's a story to tell, probably entertaining for anyone there also, and i don't picture you squealing like a typical girl ;)

Thistles

3 Year Member
just saw this one also.

Crawled up your pajamas, i bet that's a story to tell, probably entertaining for anyone there also, and i don't picture you squealing like a typical girl ;)
Nah, no squealing, but that was the fastest strip in history! Guys, if you're trying to get a girl's pants off, bring a tiny tarantula!

The spider in question is my female Idiothele mira. At the time she was maybe 1" DLS and living in a container with an opaque lid. She wasn't in her burrow, and I didn't look sufficiently well. When I opened the lid, out she came. At the time I was sitting on the floor cross legged, so she ran right up my pants leg, the first dark hidey-hole.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Nah, no squealing, but that was the fastest strip in history! Guys, if you're trying to get a girl's pants off, bring a tiny tarantula!

The spider in question is my female Idiothele mira. At the time she was maybe 1" DLS and living in a container with an opaque lid. She wasn't in her burrow, and I didn't look sufficiently well. When I opened the lid, out she came. At the time I was sitting on the floor cross legged, so she ran right up my pants leg, the first dark hidey-hole.
and up popped @Thistles like the puppet form the jack in the box toy :)

Latest posts