• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria Striata issue?

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
My Poecilotheria Striata just molted about 3 weeks ago into a solid 5-5.5 inch spider and things were looking great. I waited 5-6 days or so to feed the T it’s first meal after molt and it took its meals just fine for the next week to a week and a half. But now it’s just staying behind it’s corkbark and not coming out as often. I dropped 2 crickets in last night and I noticed the crickets are still in there. It hasn’t moved for a good 3-4 days to my knowledge. Anything to worry about?

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
They dont hook out so you need to look at the pedipalps.
0F196548-43CC-42CE-A9C3-53E8235C4F16.jpeg
E78083AD-3F64-4F08-8FAC-EBD5B70E8203.jpeg
0EFA0F14-2228-4503-BC3A-A93A4B28F3E3.jpeg
2358192C-3925-4DEA-8F7F-09BCCF8ED551.jpeg

Here’s a look at the setup if it’s helpful.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like the remnants of a sperm web...could be wrong though. Pokies really dont web too much...sperm webs, dirt curtains and egg sacks. Theres alot of webbing there. Try to catch it out in the middle of the night.
Screenshot_20200119-194133_Chrome.jpg

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Poecs are pretty big hiders anyways. Its a bit strange for it to not eat though. If its not a mature male then just give it a week and try again. Make sure the water dish is full. If you are really curious to see it out and about try the middle of the night with a red flashlight.

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Poecs are pretty big hiders anyways. Its a bit strange for it to not eat though. If its not a mature male then just give it a week and try again. Make sure the water dish is full. If you are really curious to see it out and about try the middle of the night with a red flashlight.
I’ve went in the room the past couple of nights with hours gone by without disturbing the room, and it hasn’t been out. A couple days after it’s last molt, it was out a fair amount but only late at night. I took those crickets out this morning and I’ll try to feed it next weekend and of course, try to catch it out and about.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hard to see in all the photos...this photo even though blurry was the best. Looks to be a mature Male. I'm sure if you would have been focusing on the pedipalps they would have been better. See if you can catch him out in the next few days to double check. Once they eat, Male pokies will stay in their hides for a long time after maturing. Soon enough he will be drumming all night long irritating you.;)
Screenshot_20200120-170701_Chrome.jpg

IMAGINE1391

3 Year Member
Hard to see in all the photos...this photo even though blurry was the best. Looks to be a mature Male. I'm sure if you would have been focusing on the pedipalps they would have been better. See if you can catch him out in the next few days to double check. Once they eat, Male pokies will stay in their hides for a long time after maturing. Soon enough he will be drumming all night long irritating you.;)View attachment 43052
Sorry for my picture quality. My phone doesn’t take the greatest pictures. It’s a bit of a shame I won’t be seeing this spider that often if it is male because it is one of my favorite Ts in my collection to look at. Still it’s an awesome spider with very quick takedowns when hungry. And I didn’t know this species would web so much with the research I looked at. Very cool funnel it has created though.

Latest posts