• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria ornata breeding

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's been a long time coming but It has finally happened. I successfully pulled a good ornata sack. 150 eggs with legs!!! Here's some photos and videos of Mom and Dad. If you have questions or comments feel free to ask. Hope you enjoy it...
Clown

20190608_191451.jpg
20190608_191629.jpg
20190608_191635.jpg
20190608_192028.jpg
20190608_192410.jpg
20190608_192440.jpg

20170828_140654.jpg

The day I purchased Lemmy...he was a looker.
temp_photo.jpg
The father "Lemmy" as a juvenile.
IMG-20180113-WA0000.jpeg

The day I purchased Spindra from the expo in town...I dont think she liked her enclosure she was in.
20190120_084639.jpg

Lemmy looking for love...
20181214_131528.jpg

The Mom "Spindra" trying to blend in...
20181025_224722.jpg

Lemmy showing off his legs
20180611_184525.jpg

Spindra hunting
The only time I paired them. Sent Lemmy off to two more ladies till he met his fate.:(
Lemmy as a sling...he was a ferocious eater.
Here's a video of a rehouse of Lemmy when he has a young juvenile.

Rest in peace Lemmy...your legacy lives on!!!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Notes...
Spindra (female) 8.5"
Lemmy (male) 9"
Only one pairing ...insertion was extremely fast. (See video)
After the insertion you can clearly see her furrow was wide open. She then began to rub her furrow for hours afterwards. She also moved extremely slow and lethargic for around 12 hours or so. I kept her at my normal T Room temperature of 82 degrees and @ humidity 50%. I flooded her enclosure after she was done fattening up and webbed off her entrance. I didnt add anymore water except the normal overflow of the water dish. Her enclosure is a 18x18x24 exoterra with a boot shaped corkbark. Her burrow was over 14" deep, it extended 6" past the bottom of the bark. I pulled the sack on day 30 from noticing the sack. She didnt give up the sack easily... One thing I would have done different would be to make a second entrance or exit fro her burrow. It would have been nice to distract her from the sack from another entrance.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
@Arachnoclown thanks for posting and sharing such incredible photos, the eggs with legs just astound me, having only recently realised what baby Ts look like, the miracle of evolution and genetics, all those incredible little bodies.
The pictures of the adults are stunning, I paint insects and beetles and the markings on Lemmy inspire me so much! It makes me want to paint so much!
It must be an awesome feeling to of selected these individuals, cared for them, and paired them and finally after all the work and care to see the eggs and their offspring.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
@Arachnoclown

Educate me. Why flood the enclosure? Why pull the sac? How do you know when to pull the sac? Do you feed the mom while she's holding the sac?

I saw the same sort of slowness and lethargy after breeding my G. pulchra, but I didn't know to look for the furrow or furrow rubbing. Good sign, you think?

Thanks for the help, and I'm looking forward to more pics of your babies! When are they ready to go to new homes?

nedaK

@Arachnoclown

Educate me. Why flood the enclosure? Why pull the sac? How do you know when to pull the sac? Do you feed the mom while she's holding the sac?

I saw the same sort of slowness and lethargy after breeding my G. pulchra, but I didn't know to look for the furrow or furrow rubbing. Good sign, you think?

Thanks for the help, and I'm looking forward to more pics of your babies! When are they ready to go to new homes?
I know I’m not @Arachnoclown but i don’t think they eat with the sac based on my experience with wolf spider sacs, that’s all I can answer hehe I’m dumb

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Arachnoclown

By flooding I mean water it super heavy like a massive rain storm. This is said to cause heavy webbing when the mom in close to laying her sack. I actually dont know if it's TRUE or not but I've been told the same thing by a couple breeders.
I pull the sac because I dont trust mom. I've lost sacks on the 27-28 day.
I pull the sacks between 25- 30 days. With the temps at 80 degrees and around 50% in the room they are usually at the eggs with legs stage.
And no I do t feed the mom...I dont want to stress her out at all. She may eat her sack if she feels her eggs are threatened.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
By flooding I mean water it super heavy like a massive rain storm. This is said to cause heavy webbing when the mom in close to laying her sack. I actually dont know if it's TRUE or not but I've been told the same thing by a couple breeders.
I pull the sac because I dont trust mom. I've lost sacks on the 27-28 day.
I pull the sacks between 25- 30 days. With the temps at 80 degrees and around 50% in the room they are usually at the eggs with legs stage.
And no I do t feed the mom...I dont want to stress her out at all. She may eat her sack if she feels her eggs are threatened.
Thanks man. I knew she was wrong about you.

Latest posts