• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria Metallica Breeding

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello
I have bred a few specimens before, but this was different from all the others in many ways. Got the male yesterday,added him this morning. There was literally no pause and I mean nothing at all,it took one tap and 5 seconds for response and first insertion. In a few minutes I counted 10 insertions,so it was hectic.

I want to pic you guys brains,something I am now wondering. Are certain males just meant for certain females,and above normal good pairing is left upto chance ? He is so chilled in there,and the best part they pursued each other. Will be adding a video, sorry for the background my macaw is a loud mouth.

This is an account as it progresses,since I see no use coming in at the end and saying I had a successful breeding 5 months down the line. Some people actually like reading as it progresses,or fails. Thus they can pin point where it all could have gone horribly wrong.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B2IgE7VpMIPlSnN1TFRHUjlocEE/edit?usp=docslist_api

Last edited:

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Some general notes day 1
- Molted into a mature male 3 weeks ago
- Temperature 24 degrees Celsius(Humidity around 80-85 but these aren't always correct)
- Male introduced 24 hours after receiving him
- Fed female and male,lobster roaches used.
- added more water to both enclosures
Observations
- added male first 5 seconds one tap female vibrated instantly
- He entered her hide no issues
- There were at least 10 insertions observed within a few minutes
- After the above,he went and got himself a lobster roach.
- They have yet again mated at least another 5 times.
- 2nd female hasn't shown any signs of noticing the male in the enclosure next to her,will see how it goes after I have finished mating the first in a few weeks.

Last edited:

NYX

3 Year Member
I am just going to say I know nothing about tarantula breeding. But my two sense is there are always going to be a gradient of suitable mates in the wild. From the most virile to least. In the wild they probably can afford to be more picky then in captivity. From my understanding in the wild during breeding season male tarantulas travel in droves to the female so she has her pick. Maybe this male you have just happens to be a very virile specimen? Or something else the female would have picked above all others if there were choices? Really is very interesting.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I am just going to say I know nothing about tarantula breeding. But my two sense is there are always going to be a gradient of suitable mates in the wild. From the most virile to least. In the wild they probably can afford to be more picky then in captivity. From my understanding in the wild during breeding season male tarantulas travel in droves to the female so she has her pick. Maybe this male you have just happens to be a very virile specimen? Or something else the female would have picked above all others if there were choices? Really is very interesting.
Hello
There must be a difference,since it is the first I've observed. I am keeping a close eye on them,so far they are staying happily together.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update day 3
- Both specimens still doing well
- Male has now made a hide for himself,which is quite interesting since other times these would just co inhabit.
- Male is eating well,and drinking water.
- More drumming and mating occurred early this morning
- He has made a permanent hide,but at this moment is using the females large hide with her.
- Female has again eaten a Roach, I have also added some more water to the dish again and lightly dropped water onto the substrate.

So far,so good. Not that I am worried at all,these really are receptive to males and I have yet to see one kill a male or the other way around. In my collection and time,I haven't had one problem just some cases better than others like this one here.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update Day 5
- Both specimens doing well
- activity primarily early morning hours 4-6am(tapping and mating)
- male then goes into his made hide he dug out
- suspecting to see him out and about again from 7pm
- she is in her hide during the day

What is amazing,this male has made a hide I would attribute to a specimen making one in a permanent enclosure.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Martin. Exciting times !.. Very interested to see the results. Hope it all works out. Would love to try breeding but would be a while off yet .. How many slings per sac you think ?

Sym

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Martin. Exciting times !.. Very interested to see the results. Hope it all works out. Would love to try breeding but would be a while off yet .. How many slings per clutch?

Sym
Hello
Depending on the males virility and the females size/maturity,I have seen sacs reported with 80-200. So anything is a possibility,first and for most I'm hoping successful. I'm trying to make it as favorable as possible,least disturbance light etc. I will be updating her every now and then,since I believe in my opinion it is better this way so I can pinpoint if failure should arise.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
My biggest sac was from an ornata, which isn't surprising.
Largest sac I have gotten is from regalis which was 190 odd. That is out of the ones that I have bred (regalis, fasciata, formosa, vittata, metallica, miranda, ornata, rufilata, subfusca and striata) Agree, metallica is relatively small. Biggest one that I have heard of was 110 3rd instars.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Largest sac I have gotten is from regalis which was 190 odd. That is out of the ones that I have bred (regalis, fasciata, formosa, vittata, metallica, miranda, ornata, rufilata, subfusca and striata) Agree, metallica is relatively small. Biggest one that I have heard of was 110 3rd instars.

Impressive. I have some catching up to do.