• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria in absentia

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My Striata has vanished off of the ceiling of the enclosure. Of course, escape is impossible. She's obviously found out or made a hiding place in there.

The small hisser I put in as well as the feeder lats I got from Jamie's have all mysteriously vanished as well.

Do they burrow in moss?

I see a suspect burrow there. I doubt that it's safe to just open the top for maintenance and adult she'll just go down however. She could go on a bonsai charge right up the tongs onto my arm.

How soon before she shows herself again?

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update:

She's baaaccccckkkk!!

I got some pics of her hanging out in the corner, this time by the water dish.

I'm gonna throw in a few more roaches in case she's hungry.

P Striata Patricia revealed 1.jpg
P Striata Patricia revealed 2.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If that's her permanent hideout, I'll have to be careful about filling the water dish!! I can't just over flow it.

A soggy pokie is probably not a happy one. Of course, I don't have to open the top. It has a screen but still not good.

The M balfouri Maxine has ignored the cricket for a whole day. I figure that Patricia may well be more interested.

One thing I do for the crickets is to locate where the T is or I suspect it is. Then I get the smallest tweezers I have and carefully place some cricket chow in that location or at the edge of the web.

I don't know who else does this but it lets the spider essentially hunt over bait and the cricket is probably less likely to bother the T.

I've seen both the versicolor and the balfouri nail munching crickets, who didn't even know what hit them. Even if the cricket does run away the first time, it comes back and usually gets nailed the second or third time--highly entertaining!!

Latest posts