• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Poecilotheria fasciata slings

DTG

3 Year Member
Here is a video of my fasciata as they emerge from the incubator as second instar slings. I recently had someone ask me on Facebook, "Are you a breeder"? I wasn't sure how to answer that question. So I will leave it up to you guys...What defines a spider breeder?

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here is a video of my fasciata as they emerge from the incubator as second instar slings. I recently had someone ask me on Facebook, "Are you a breeder"? I wasn't sure how to answer that question. So I will leave it up to you guys...What defines a spider breeder?
Hello
I'd rather categorize it as casual breeder,and the serious breeder.

- casual,breeds a specimen here and there not as an income etc. Maybe does it just for the fact of being able to,no other reasons attached. Also,won't actually breed rare new to the market specimens.
- serious breeder,well that is easy breeds numerous specimens that are still very unknown or not easy obtainable or market related. Makes a business of it,or studies and takes notes of the endeavours and shares his or her knowledge with fellow hobbyists.

That's just my perspective on it,so in essence my opinion haha.

DTG

3 Year Member
By your definition I am not a serious or casual breeder? I have not bred many rare animals as mine are still not adult size, but I do breed anything that I can. I do not worry about how many are on the market as I only keep the species that fascinate me. If I am stuck will an entire eggsack of slings, I will still enjoy raising them up, but it does help to sell a few every now and then... You see how complicated this question can become?:)

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
By your definition I am not a serious or casual breeder? I have not bred many rare animals as mine are still not adult size, but I do breed anything that I can. I do not worry about how many are on the market as I only keep the species that fascinate me. If I am stuck will an entire eggsack of slings, I will still enjoy raising them up, but it does help to sell a few every now and then... You see how complicated this question can become?:)
Haha,but look at my definition closely. You would have seen where I said a serious breeder could also be classified as that when they study or take notes and share knowledge,that's what you do via YouTube.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Haha,almost well played.

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Awesome....Thank you so much.:)
Remember each and every video you post,touches multiple people in the hobby helping a lot even though it might not look that way. You get say,1k views but that's only views those 1k share with another 2k and so on and so on. So in the end,matters hugely. So in my book,that's a serious hobbyist or breeder.

Down with OBT

3 Year Member
a hobbyist may or may not breed, but if they do its usually 1-2 species a year.

a breeder will do 20

a professional breeder will seek out to do as many a humanly possible and go out of their way to get the oddities (new to the hobby/ no longer available)

DTG

3 Year Member
I breed every time I get an opportunity. If I am fortunate enough to breed the oddities, I most certainly try:)

DTG

3 Year Member
I just saw a rant from one of the dealers on his blog. It was his opinion that people should not buy from breeders that aren't trying to make their living off the spiders. He claimed breeders were defined as people with day jobs and people trying to make a living on the spiders. He seemed to indicate that only the priveledged few should be allowed to sell tarantulas. I could not believe it. My belief is that every person that breeds is a major contributor to the conservation movement, whether it is animals, plants or molds and fungi. It is selfish to think that because you have good success breeding, you should be the only one to sell these amazing creatures. Thoughts anyone?:)

Therasoid

3 Year Member
Could be he can't sell enough to earn a living from it. Lol! Just venting his frustrations, maybe?
Reputation, prices, animal quality and packing ability are big factors I consider when ordering. I rarely order since there is a plethora of local breeders and a monthly reptile show in my area.
As the adage goes, "Opinions are like rectal orifices, everyone has one." Or, " Ignorance is bliss."
I've bred in the past, helps offset the costs of keeping these amazing creatures, doubt I'll ever do it full time though. Just my thoughts. [emoji6]

DTG

3 Year Member
I really don't have an opinion either way. I thought it was rather funny. I would love to be a full time breeder, but that is not in my immediate future LOL.

Last edited:

Latest posts