• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please help a newb!

DaveR2017

3 Year Member
Hi guys! I live in rural Arizona and recently had a Tarantula "move in" outside my garage. I run a business out of my garage (which I converted into a work shop) and I usually have the garage door open while working. On occasion my Tarantula friend would visit me in the garage, which I didn't mind, and I actually became accustomed to his visits. I even named him "Fred". On several occasions I picked him up and moved him back outside in order to avoid closing him in the garage and/or stepping on him as I moved around the shop. The other night I noticed him in the garage kinda hunkered-down in the seam in the concrete. I watched him for a few minutes until he moved. His movements seemed to be uncoordinated as though he was drunk. He moved erratically, albeit slowly, then cam to a rest in the middle of the floor. After several minutes I scooped him up with a piece of paper and put him outside by his hole. Later that night I went out to check on Fred and he hadn't moved from the place that I had placed him, but I also noticed that there was ANOTHER Tarantula in the area, approximately 5 feet from where Fred was. The second Tarantula was not moving either, even when I would coax him/her with a stick. The following morning both Tarantulas were in the same spot(s), having not moved at all overnight. Later I confirmed that both were dead.
So here's the thing. We had our property sprayed a couple of weeks ago because we were experiencing a scorpion issue. I don't mind them, but my wife was raised in the city and is squeamish about spiders and scorpions. I had told the pest control guy about Fred and he stated that it is possible that Fred may not "make it" once the property is sprayed. When I saw Fred acting the way he was, I immediately thought that the insecticide had done it's job. I felt bad because I had taken a liking to Fred and he didn't seem to mind being around me either. But on second thought, I was under the impression that the pesticide would work a lot faster than a couple of weeks. Then, I saw the other Tarantula and noted that both were acting lethargically at the same time.
My question is: Is it possible that both Tarantulas were male and had a battle to the death? Or, is it also possible that the insecticide just took longer than usual due to the size of the Tarantula's? I appreciate any insight from anyone that is more knowledgeable about Tarantula's than I. I apologize for the long explanation, just wanted to paint the picture as accurately as possible.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What a sad tale. It is possible that it was the spray that killed them but it is equally possible that they were both mature males that had come to their natural end. Tarantula males only live a short time after they mature, from a few months to a couple of years.
Maybe you ought to get a tarantula as a pet, it may help your wife overcome her fear. Many people on here used to be scared of spiders, including myself, but tarantulas have helped us overcome the fear.

DaveR2017

3 Year Member
What a sad tale. It is possible that it was the spray that killed them but it is equally possible that they were both mature males that had come to their natural end. Tarantula males only live a short time after they mature, from a few months to a couple of years.
Maybe you ought to get a tarantula as a pet, it may help your wife overcome her fear. Many people on here used to be scared of spiders, including myself, but tarantulas have helped us overcome the fear.
Thanks for the insight! As far as getting one as a pet, that's not happening. She would divorce me first...lol!

Thistles

3 Year Member
I've never heard of males fighting. Enn has the best alternative explanation: they were both MMs and just died of old age. The burrow makes me wonder, though. Adult males wander. They may not even have been males. Odds are it was the pesticide. I understand that it would make you feel guilty, but that's what spray does. There are a number of different mechanisms that pesticides use, and most aren't instant. Some don't even take effect until the animal tries to molt. I'd bet money that it was the spray.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
What you seen as a drunk tarantula was actually dks(dyskinetic syndrome) their are multiple causes but pesticides are one of the things that can do this. It can take weeks before tarantulas show these symptoms and at that point there's almost no hope, I had this happen to five of my adult Ts and I was lucky enough to actually have one that pulled through and fully recovered. Mine came from feeding my Ts bad crickets but it was horrible to have to watch some of my favorite Ts go through this. At any rate sounds like you have interest in them so like Enn said you should definitely look into getting a T of your own.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's suspicious that both would succumb to a natural death at the same time, one hell of a coincidence actually!!

In my opinion...

Sadly enough, it's probably either pesticides or if scorpions are present. Pesticides are probably the most likely explanation.

A mommy scorp with scorplings upon her back can be especially defensive. From what I've heard, they are mortal enemies with spiders, alternative possibility.