• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Please confirm sex - T albopilosum suspect female. Many thanks!

NottsM

IMG_0687 (1).jpg

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks like some people could do with giving this a read through - https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/how-to-sex-your-tarantula.281/

What you are seeing there are male accessory organs not spermathecae. You'll notice there is no bursa copulatrix or uterus externus in sight. Also albopilosum have fused spermathecae not paired.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, I retract my statement, then. That's what I get for rushing into it, lol.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

plessey

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don't they start off separate and then fuse together?
If they do start off as seperate structures then they fuse within the first couple of moults before you can see them on the shed skin. More likely they were paired once but evolved into fused spermathecae over the years and are a single structure from the get go.

Konstantin

3 Year Member

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nah this one pretty much nails it and it has the bonus effect of triggering people with TDS

In my defense I seriously wasn't paying that close of attention to the picture before responding....my fingers have a tendency to override everything else. ;)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I sincerely hope no one thinks that I'm a liberal. No offense to anyone who is but I am 100% a ride or die gun totin' republican.