• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pinkies!!

xray_chic

3 Year Member
I just fed my 3-Brazilian salmon pink bird eaters- Lasiodora parahybanas each a pinky mouse for the first time. They loved it! It seems like a heartier meal than the crickets. They were eating 3-5 crickets at a time.
What species do you feed pinkies/mice to?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I strongly suggest against feeding vertebrates of any kind. It's completely un-nessasary, and there are theories that Tarantulas may have trouble digesting the calcium. No T in my collection has ever eaten any invertebrate, and never will.

xray_chic

3 Year Member
That's certainly the first time I've ever heard that, however, I'm definitely open to new info. So what do you feed these biggens? I have to drive over 20 miles for decent crickets as it is. I saw you mention roaches in the other thread.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feed my Big ones Adult Dubia (roaches) My 10" T.Strimi does fine on 1 adult dubia every two weeks.

xray_chic

3 Year Member
Do you have a link for the study done on vertebrates being bad for Ts? I would love to read it.
I'll have to look into the roaches. Thanks for the info.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Do you have a link for the study done on vertebrates being bad for Ts? I would love to read it.
I'll have to look into the roaches. Thanks for the info.

I don't believe there is an official study. Just multiple theories on whether or not they can properly digest the calcium in vert prey. It's been proven in other inverts just not Ts.
Some of the theories suggest that vert prey can be a big factor in possibilities of wet moults.
The facts however, are that Pinkies are high in fat, and not the healthiest prey choice. Roaches,Crickets, and Super-worms all provide a more balanced meal. Pinkies would be on the level of wax worms (maggots) which I would never feed my Ts

xray_chic

3 Year Member
It's a very interesting topic. Too bad there isn't more information yet.
It seems to be a real possibility, especially when feeding commercially bred vertebrates which all tend to be high in fat content and low in nutrition. I know from keeping fish that feeding them foods other than aquatic and inverts can be detrimental because they cannot process the fats. In the case of the Ts they are thinking calcium content? That does not sound unreasonable.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's a very interesting topic. Too bad there isn't more information yet.
It seems to be a real possibility, especially when feeding commercially bred vertebrates which all tend to be high in fat content and low in nutrition. I know from keeping fish that feeding them foods other than aquatic and inverts can be detrimental because they cannot process the fats. In the case of the Ts they are thinking calcium content? That does not sound unreasonable.

It's one of many theories. Better safe then sorry imo.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Calcium inhibits chitin production. Chitin is the primary building block of the exoskeleton. I think I have a paper, somewhere, that goes into detail on this. I will have to look for it.
In short, calcium, in large quantities is bad for invertebrates. I prefer not to give my tarantulas vertebrate prey, ever; it's just not needed.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Calcium inhibits chitin production. Chitin is the primary building block of the exoskeleton. I think I have a paper, somewhere, that goes into detail on this. I will have to look for it.
In short, calcium, in large quantities is bad for invertebrates. I prefer not to give my tarantulas vertebrate prey, ever; it's just not needed.

Scool with the Data!!!!! Thanks!!!

Latest posts