• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink Toed Tarantula completely inactive

Newbie@spiders

We got our first tarantula for my son for Christmas this year. It’s been about a month and we’ve never seen it outside it’s little log that it has its web-sling in. We know it comes out because it poops on the walls of the enclosure, but aside for a few seconds at feeding time we’ve still never seen it come out. Is this normal?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I don't have that species, but hiding is not uncommon among many species of tarantulas, especially when they are young. If it it's eating and pooping, then it sounds like it is doing fine.

Feel free to post pictures of the enclosure, that might help in identifying any potential problems.

Also, I have learned that using the scientific name of the tarantula helps identify the species best.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We got our first tarantula for my son for Christmas this year. It’s been about a month and we’ve never seen it outside it’s little log that it has its web-sling in. We know it comes out because it poops on the walls of the enclosure, but aside for a few seconds at feeding time we’ve still never seen it come out. Is this normal?
It sure can be, they are nocturnal. Pics of the enclosure would help but it's not uncommon behavior for a tarantula to seek comfort in its hide. More so if:
-enclosure in bright light/high traffic area
-enclosure setup "wrong" or too large

Make sure it has access to water, always, and welcome to the forum, and the hobby.