• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink toe has eggs

YoshiGecko

Hi guys. I just got a pink toe from petsmart and she laid eggs! I want to try to raise them, but im having a hard time figuring out how to care for the babies. Is it like having baby jumping spiders?

This is my first ever tarantula too :) any advice is welcome!!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
What part of Washington are you in? Your best bet is to give them to someone who has some tarantula and most importantly breeding experience. I know of lots of breeders in Washington, like @sdsnybny that can help.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's a lot to this story I don't understand...

Can you post a pic of your T, the eggs and all that?

YoshiGecko

There's a lot to this story I don't understand...

Can you post a pic of your T, the eggs and all that?
This is the best i can get, as my phone isnt great at getting photos. Shes very protective of the egg sack as well.

Attachments

• 20210710_182747.jpg
    20210710_182747.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210710_112125.jpg
    20210710_112125.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63
  • 20210710_182743.jpg
    20210710_182743.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 63

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is the best i can get, as my phone isnt great at getting photos. Shes very protective of the egg sack as well.
Interesting... thanks for sharing

How long have you had her?
When did you first notice the sac?
Do you have any pics of the entire enclosure you can share?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It would be worth you finding out from PetSmart where she came from and if she'd been with a male. On the other hand it could be an infertile sac.

YoshiGecko

Interesting... thanks for sharing

How long have you had her?
When did you first notice the sac?
Do you have any pics of the entire enclosure you can share?
Ive had her 2 days, she laid her sack an hour after i took her home so she is still in the critter tote that ghey house them in :( I hadnt set up her tank before getting her since i wasnt expecting them to have a pink toe in stock, they normally only have fire legs at my petsnart.

Attachments

• 20210711_082929.jpg
    20210711_082929.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 31
  • 20210711_082925.jpg
    20210711_082925.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 34

YoshiGecko

It would be worth you finding out from PetSmart where she came from and if she'd been with a male. On the other hand it could be an infertile sac.
They told me they have no clud how the reptiles and tarantulas are kept before they recive them. Is there a way of telling when shes had the eggs a bit longer?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ive had her 2 days, she laid her sack an hour after i took her home so she is still in the critter tote that ghey house them in :( I hadnt set up her tank before getting her since i wasnt expecting them to have a pink toe in stock, they normally only have fire legs at my petsnart.
They told me they have no clud how the reptiles and tarantulas are kept before they recive them. Is there a way of telling when shes had the eggs a bit longer?
Well, congratulations, and welcome to the hobby; you could call this a "baptism by fire" sort of introduction to tarantula keeping.

There is no way to tell how long she's had the sac, and if it's even viable; only time will tell.

She will not eat while she tends to the sac so don't stress her out by trying to feed her. Make sure she has constant access to clean water and let her do her thing.

Most keepers will pull the sac 30-40 days after first noticing it but nothing says you have to, in fact you could choose to do nothing at all. Spiders have been dropping sacs and reproducing for millions of years without our help.

Depending on many factors, the development of the eggs in the sac can be faster or slower, temperature being one of the most influential. Also, the eggs could be unfertilized as already mentioned which means nothing will hatch out of the sac. In that case the mom either abandons the sac or eats it. Sometimes, mom's eat viable sacs, which is why we pull them if we know the female was paired and the sac is most likely viable.

The good news is your T is doing what she is programmed to do and if you wanted to find a local breeder to help you that's an easy option as has already been recommended. If she isaa first time mom, chances are there will be about 100 or so eggs in there, sometimes less.

I recommend you not stress yourself or the tarantula out and start doing your research and look for local breeders in the WA area. Ping Aaron at Pacific Northwest Arachnids, he is not in WA but may be able to help, or perhaps @sdsnybnywill chime in, like @Arachnoclown recommend.

Do your research. Ask questions. Good luck, congratulations and welcome to the forum, and the hobby.

YoshiGecko

Well, congratulations, and welcome to the hobby; you could call this a "baptism by fire" sort of introduction to tarantula keeping.

There is no way to tell how long she's had the sac, and if it's even viable; only time will tell.

She will not eat while she tends to the sac so don't stress her out by trying to feed her. Make sure she has constant access to clean water and let her do her thing.

Most keepers will pull the sac 30-40 days after first noticing it but nothing says you have to, in fact you could choose to do nothing at all. Spiders have been dropping sacs and reproducing for millions of years without our help.

Depending on many factors, the development of the eggs in the sac can be faster or slower, temperature being one of the most influential. Also, the eggs could be unfertilized as already mentioned which means nothing will hatch out of the sac. In that case the mom either abandons the sac or eats it. Sometimes, mom's eat viable sacs, which is why we pull them if we know the female was paired and the sac is most likely viable.

The good news is your T is doing what she is programmed to do and if you wanted to find a local breeder to help you that's an easy option as has already been recommended. If she isaa first time mom, chances are there will be about 100 or so eggs in there, sometimes less.

I recommend you not stress yourself or the tarantula out and start doing your research and look for local breeders in the WA area. Ping Aaron at Pacific Northwest Arachnids, he is not in WA but may be able to help, or perhaps @sdsnybnywill chime in, like @Arachnoclown recommend.

Do your research. Ask questions. Good luck, congratulations and welcome to the forum, and the hobby.
Thank you so much! Ive been doing lots of reading so far. I'll look into contacting some breeders!
If the eggs do hatch with her, will she eat the babies? Or do they stay with her for a little while before i remove them to their own containers? Ive hatched out jumping spiders before, so i do still have little cups i can put them in :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you so much! Ive been doing lots of reading so far. I'll look into contacting some breeders!
If the eggs do hatch with her, will she eat the babies? Or do they stay with her for a little while before i remove them to their own containers? Ive hatched out jumping spiders before, so i do still have little cups i can put them in :)
She may eat them, which is why people wanting the slings pull the sac and finish incubating on their own

Jenniferinfl

It's probably more convenient to pull an egg sac at about 30 days- there are a bunch of videos out there for how to set them up. Hopefully at that point they are 'eggs with legs' stage which are a lot easier.

It seems super inconvenient to try to catch 100 or so baby spiderlings in an adult enclosure with a mama in there.. lol

It could be a phantom sac, but I've always treated phantom sacs as if they could be real just in case. So far not the case for me, just phantom sacs with unfertilized eggs.

YoshiGecko

It's probably more convenient to pull an egg sac at about 30 days- there are a bunch of videos out there for how to set them up. Hopefully at that point they are 'eggs with legs' stage which are a lot easier.

It seems super inconvenient to try to catch 100 or so baby spiderlings in an adult enclosure with a mama in there.. lol

It could be a phantom sac, but I've always treated phantom sacs as if they could be real just in case. So far not the case for me, just phantom sacs with unfertilized eggs.
Ok thank you! Ill look into how to care of the eggs when i pull them. If they arent eggs with legs will they be ok still?

Tarantulafeets

I would also take whatever that is in the water dish out.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Heres a couple videos...making a incubator and pulling a sack. At 28 days pull the sack and place them in the incubator. Keep the eggs at 82 degrees and 70% humidity. You should have Mom and the sack right now at those numbers also. As soon as they molt to 2nd instar you will need to separate them and start feeding them. Good luck

YoshiGecko

Heres a couple videos...making a incubator and pulling a sack. At 28 days pull the sack and place them in the incubator. Keep the eggs at 82 degrees and 70% humidity. You should have Mom and the sack right now at those numbers also. As soon as they molt to 2nd instar you will need to separate them and start feeding them. Good luck

Thank you so much!

Teresaisrad

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Darn! I'm in Tacoma and that's 4 hours where you are. I would have totally be willing to help however a 4 hour drive is a bit steep to pick up a potentially unfertile sac.
I think you are doing amazing so far with reaching out and doing research. If you are feeling in over your head and want to drive halfway to meet me I would be willing to free your hands of the sac and if fertile, send babies your way.

Latest posts