• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pink Toe constantly pacing.

AviPink435

Hello. I have a Pink Toe that is constantly pacing in his cage. I’m not sure if he is a make but I didn’t find a flap in his molt. I’ve had him for about a year. He’s molted 3 times since then and is about the size of my hand (4 inches from toe to toe.). He has crickets in his habitat and he eats frequently. The last three days he has been pacing his cage. Overly “friendly”. When I check on him, he’s in my bathroom where it is warm as I live in Utah and it’s cold outside, he becomes very active. Nonstop walking around. He’s even fallen off the glass sides.
Could he be searching for a mate? Also, I’ve noticed that he’s rubbed the hairs off of his abdomen on the top. I’m new to this hobby. He’s my first T. Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thank you.

AviPink435

Here he is from the front.

Attachments

• 4AEFC431-3ED6-4B81-9041-65F2D67945A0.png
    4AEFC431-3ED6-4B81-9041-65F2D67945A0.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 357

Nunua

3 Year Member
He has crickets in his habitat and he eats frequently.

So do you keep the crickets in all the time? If so, it's recommended to take them out. The rule of a thumb is to throw a feeder in the tarantula enclosure and if it's still alive after 24 hours, just remove it. Even though your Avic is good in size, crickets are bloody murderers - If they'd catch the T in mid molt, they can potentially harm the T by starting eating it.

Last edited:

AviPink435

Sometimes the crickets are in there for a couple of days. Usually I will drop the crickets in and he will snatch them right away. I will get all the crickets out ASAP. I’ve noticed that he will kill all the crickets off before he molts. I do know that the crickets can harm him.

Greg

3 Year Member
My A. avic was also my first, purchased in February as a 2.5-3" juvenile. It stayed webbed up for the first few months, bivouac-style, then abandoned its webbing and did lots of exploration after the first molt in its new home. It also ate more readily and aggressively, taking on full-size dubias. This ended after a week or so, and it then made a vertical web tube and has been in there for the past two months, not eating. Seems to be a pattern with these, though I haven't had it long enough to confirm that.

SDCustom78

Avicularia avicularia LOSE the pink tips on their pedipalps when they mature out "ultimate molt" as males. That picture appears to show no pink on the pedipalps eluding to the fact that its already mature and will never molt again.

Latest posts