• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Picky girl

timc

3 Year Member
As posted elsewhere my GBB molted last week and as expected her rump was tiny. worms are nice and meaty so I figured they're the best way to fatten the little girl up. She's taken them down ferociously before so there shouldn't be any problems right? Wrong! I tried two different times and each time she ignored them like they were water. So today I went out for crickets and she devoured two of them almost instantly. Has anyone else had their tarantulas just change their tastes so randomly before? I'm very curious about this behavior.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As posted elsewhere my GBB molted last week and as expected her rump was tiny. worms are nice and meaty so I figured they're the best way to fatten the little girl up. She's taken them down ferociously before so there shouldn't be any problems right? Wrong! I tried two different times and each time she ignored them like they were water. So today I went out for crickets and she devoured two of them almost instantly. Has anyone else had their tarantulas just change their tastes so randomly before? I'm very curious about this behavior.
Yeah, it's not an uncommon thing at all. My E.murinus won't eat anything but crickets and occasionally wax worms. No mealworms or superworms. I tried giving my GBB butter worms when she was a little slung but she wouldn't touch them. Now as an adult, she loves them.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my avic wont take roaches or superworms most of the time but rarely passes on a cricket. my GBB on the other hand would eat my chihuahua if i threw it in there. lol

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
none of mine have changed prey. They all eat crickets and lateralis roaches. I've yet to get one to eat a dubai roach but i'll try again on wednesday when i feed them all.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
none of mine have changed prey. They all eat crickets and lateralis roaches. I've yet to get one to eat a dubai roach but i'll try again on wednesday when i feed them all.
Trust me, you'll eventually get a picky one once you acquire more :p

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My slings will ignore mealworms at times but as these are prekilled, I found them eventually on top of them. ;)

Latest posts