• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phormictopus sp green???

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Picked up this little guy at the reptile show awhile back. It was sold to me as a phormictopus sp green. But after looking at photos of other sp greens im not sure if its a green or a p.cancerides or another phormictopus species. I know the genius is a reck. Can anyone tell me exactly what I have?
_20170121_171229.JPG

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My sp green sub adult looks like this, shes six inches at least, and faded right now.
20170227_130448.jpg

I have three sp green slings that are blue. I believe all Phormictopus slings start out blue but im not sure..yours maybe just hasn't got its color yet. The beautiful bright green ones you see in pics are freshly molted, and some most likely color enhanced. As far as yours being a green...no idea. Its most definitely some kind of Phormictopus. Which is a win, either way ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
On my female , the femurs are an obvious green, the rest of the legs faded green. Black rump and gold carapace with dark green stripes. She's due a molt soon, im hoping the green really pops out. If I had to go by the four color forms @sdsnybny pointed out id say i have a green femur, but she also has a green/gold carapace. I guess the truth will be revealed when she matures fully, It will be interesting to see them all matured and compare them.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
He's due for a molt here soon so we'll see. Still a little guy only about 2.5" so still got a lot of growing to do. Ill post another photo after the next molt and see if there is any change. Interested to see everyone else's as they mature as well.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
@Tgotty90 I'm awfully tempted to say that looks like either an atrichomatus or a cancerides. I just don't think its a green. All speculation of course.
Cancerdes is what I was thinking as well. Either way got a heck of a deal and this little dude is awesome to begin with. Still got a lot of growing to do so we'll see but don't think its a green either which is a bummer but still happy with this little ball of energy.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cancerdes is what I was thinking as well. Either way got a heck of a deal and this little dude is awesome to begin with. Still got a lot of growing to do so we'll see but don't think its a green either which is a bummer but still happy with this little ball of energy.
You can't go wrong with that genus, I love em :D Still need a cancerides...hmm..shopping time..

Latest posts