• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phormictopus cochleasvorax.

gognomie

Do any of you guys keep one of these? They don't seem to be super popular/common and there's not a large amount of info out there about them and their care so I was wondering if anyone out there has one.
I do have a phormictopus atrichomatus who is currently in premolt and growing like a weed.

gognomie

I'm super looking forward it coming into its adult colours, they're all absolutely stunning imho. Mine is a little cutie, though it's still a sling, the speed they grow at this age is a little impressive.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm super looking forward it coming into its adult colours, they're all absolutely stunning imho. Mine is a little cutie, though it's still a sling, the speed they grow at this age is a little impressive.
Mine actually swiped 10" tongs out of my hand one time in an effort to get to the superworm. Prepare for the attitude. My P. cancerides is an angel compared to my atrichromatus.

gognomie

Mine actually swiped 10" tongs out of my hand one time in an effort to get to the superworm. Prepare for the attitude. My P. cancerides is an angel compared to my atrichromatus.
When I looked into them as a genus it seems to be that they were either little terrors or pet rocks, hardly anything in between, though admittedly a lot of the things I read/listened to lump the whole lot of them together.
I'm still new to this but so far the craziest feeding responses I see are from my g.pulcha and n.incei, they will strike anything, my a.genic loves to eat but at least it'll let me change and refill its water bowl. o_O

Tabitha

3 Year Member
I just bought one of these, tried to resist but they just seemed too good to miss, waiting for it to arrive!
Hoping I can pick up some tips on care from here.

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just bought one of these, tried to resist but they just seemed too good to miss, waiting for it to arrive!
So I'm guessing the saying resistance is futile applies here? :)

Stat

3 Year Member
Sounds like a fun species on feeding, watering and general days of husbandry. One for me further down the line though I think.

gognomie

Ow! Please let us know how you get on with it!
I'm sort of assuming their care is general, standard phormictopus care, but the part with the snail is intriguing me no end, I've kept giant African land snails for over a decade and no matter how hard you go hunting for the eggs to freeze there's always a baby or two that somehow magically appears. Not sure if that's a risk for parasites or something equally unpleasant though?

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Ow! Please let us know how you get on with it!
I'm sort of assuming their care is general, standard phormictopus care, but the part with the snail is intriguing me no end, I've kept giant African land snails for over a decade and no matter how hard you go hunting for the eggs to freeze there's always a baby or two that somehow magically appears. Not sure if that's a risk for parasites or something equally unpleasant though?

Oh, are these the snail munchers that TSS had listed? They feed on snails but you can give them the normal feeders if preferred. I don't know much about them, but they sound quite unique :)

gognomie

Oh, are these the snail munchers that TSS had listed? They feed on snails but you can give them the normal feeders if preferred. I don't know much about them, but they sound quite unique :)
Yup, those are the ones, I think So Many Legs has them too, super tempted but want to do a little more research before properly thinking about getting one.