• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phormictopus auratus

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
This will be one of my keeper's journals of my slings and their development and transformations as time goes by.
As per tirle meet my Phormictopus auratus (Aurea).Hopefully a female but will think of a boy's name if needs be later on.lol
Purchased from @Phil and is with me since 08.04.2020.
The lil fella is a very good eater and curently in a 10x10x5 cm enclosure with a eater dish and slightly moist (but not
soggy)substrste.Here are few pics.
IMG-20200213-WA0000.jpg

20200410_125710.jpg

On 17.04.2020 we had our first moult together.
Pic without flash
20200419_160710.jpg

Pic with flash
20200419_160729.jpg

These spider starts as a brown sling and is cool that already goes through some colour changes.Once it hardens and is done stretching will decide if is ready for bigger enclosure as it seems it put some(not massive.lol) size to it.
Thanks for reading and will post updates as time goes
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Waited few days for the little one to harden and strech and fed it a tyni cricket two days in a row before moving it to a bigger house with a proper hide in it as the little one has put a bit more size to it and had nowhere to hide in the old house any more.It went in almost instantly and is loving it so far.
Here is a pic for reference between new and old enclosures
20200427_131739.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
A little update.
Shortly after the rehouse the lil one closed shop and was not to be seen.
Today was feeding everyone else and thought to put a micro cricket in there to see if lil one will sence it and come out for a meal.It sure did.Couldn't open that burrow fast enough bless its little cottons.lol.By the time I put the tub back on the shelf it had the cricket and went to munch on it back in the burrow.
Trying that too with my G Pulchripes to see if it will tempt it out .lol
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
A little update on the lil one.
It has been playing Bob the builder last night instead of being a good spider and go to bed.There is a tunel exiting in the corner behind its hide and a new entrance decoration.
20200503_120157.jpg
20200503_115843.jpg

Not able to catch it out for a pic but at least is moving about and eating in his new enclosure
Regards Konstantin

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Looks nice. It is not easy to take pictures like that, but you did it. :cool:

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Little update on the little one.He seems to live the fossorial life lately.There is some webbing down so it is coming out duri g the night I imagine.Also its closing shop almost all the time but opens to grab the 2 micro crickets I put in every 4 days and then closing both ends of his burrow again by the next morning.
Weird little thing.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Yes I do that.It is a bit more eye pleasing for me and give the slings some more security when they out of their burrow than bare enclosure.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
As for AB seems there is a group of regulars on there that have the tendency to bash new commers with criticism about their ways of keeping tarantulas while praising each other for doing exactly the same things.But Im not one to get into arguments and couldn't care less about those individuals petty picking anyway.
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
The little one had second moult with me.2 days ago it kicked the moult in the entrance of its hide.Its about 50 days since its last moult and is been hungry for about 20 days.Will give it few more days before feeding just to make sure is hardened enough.The new moult is 2 cm bigger than the other one so is putting on good size.
PS Its still living the fossorial life and nowhere to be seen but the burrow is open at least.lol
Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi all
Well overdue update on this one.
It has kept up with his moult cycle of 50 ish days and is not so small anymore.It is currently around 3 inch and started showing his gold colours on the carapace. Unfortunately haven't had chance of sexing it as keeps shredding its moults.
It is currently in a 20x20x15 cm enclosure and is a great eater taking adult crickets once a week.Seems since the rehouse it finally gave up on the fossorial lifestyle and is out and about all the time.
20200827_181857.jpg
20200903_171826.jpg

Regards Konstantin

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
tbh it has been pretty bullet proof for me.It is concerned the most shy and timid of the Phormictopus genius but it still has the appetite and is a very good eater.It is housed on not too deep moist substrate as I dont like giving my slings the chance to burrow too deep.Mine lived mostly underground for last few months. It senses the pray even when sealed in its burrow and comes out to hunt them if hungry.
Hope that helps.
Regards Konstantin

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Love watching the growth on this one. I'm actually picking up a sling of this on 9/30. My first phormictopus. Any tips?
You will not be disappointed with a phormictopus - they are voracious eaters and have attitude - certainly one of my favourite genus although I think they are often over looked as being 'just brown spiders' :rolleyes: our biggest female cancerides has just moulted and Is well over 8"now she's gorgeous... I echo what @Konstantin has said.. I also find that ours like to trash there enclosures- I've never had one burrow away at any point though