• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phobia abating

Nurse Ratchet

So I know having a few T's has helped my arachnophobia greatly. A few months ago I couldn't even see a photo of a spider without cringing away, but now I stare at my T's far too frequently in awe. Last night I was put to a unexpected test. While wrestling around on the floor with 180lbs of dogs and my teen son, I caught sight of movement on the floor beside me. Great, a loose cricket, I think, and go to capture it. But lo, it was no cricket. A common wolf spider had made its way into my home. Formerly such a discovery would have elicited a strangled sound of fear as I fled far enough for safety, but close enough to keep an eye on it while I yelled for my son to do something! But not this time. To my son's amazement, I caught it in a catch cup and released it outside. Still can't use my hands. Nope. Not yet anyway...
Is it weird that afterwards I thought about whether or not I should have built it an enclosure and kept it as a pet?

Jeef

3 Year Member
That is an impressive bit of progress!

My daughter wants jumping spiders. Thing is, my house is covered with them in the summer. I tell her they are short-lived and probably better off outside. We are kinda spoiled with some of our tarantula's life-spans.

There is no rule that says you ever have to use your hands. I do with small spiders that I don't think will bite me too bad if they are so inclined, but I don't handle my tarantulas at all.

Nurse Ratchet

Thank you! The only tarantula handling I intend on is the accidental kind. I've been bitten twice by local arachnids growing up. That's enough for me.
That's awesome your daughter wants a pet jumping spider! You could always let her keep one for a day or two at a time so she doesn't have to face their passing. That's what my parents would do with all the critters I would bring home. They could stay with me overnight, but I had to "put that thing back where it came from" before sunset the next day.

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I know having a few T's has helped my arachnophobia greatly. A few months ago I couldn't even see a photo of a spider without cringing away, but now I stare at my T's far too frequently in awe. Last night I was put to a unexpected test. While wrestling around on the floor with 180lbs of dogs and my teen son, I caught sight of movement on the floor beside me. Great, a loose cricket, I think, and go to capture it. But lo, it was no cricket. A common wolf spider had made its way into my home. Formerly such a discovery would have elicited a strangled sound of fear as I fled far enough for safety, but close enough to keep an eye on it while I yelled for my son to do something! But not this time. To my son's amazement, I caught it in a catch cup and released it outside. Still can't use my hands. Nope. Not yet anyway...
Is it weird that afterwards I thought about whether or not I should have built it an enclosure and kept it as a pet?
You did well. I strongly believe Wolf's DO NOT belong in a cage. They are active free ranging territorial hunters whose life range can bring them miles away from their birth. Caging such a creature, imo, is a pity.