• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Kael

Hi guys! This is my running crab spider. She is a female and measures about 1".
IMG_0726.JPG
IMG_0725.JPG

Avicularia Kael

Here is little care sheet made by me!

Philodromus sp. Care Sheet

Diet: I feed mine small crickets about a 1/4 of an inch long. Any small insect should do.

Containment: I keep mine in a plastic cup with a custom made lid (part of a cup with mesh). I keep a part of a paper towel roll in the container to be used by the spider as a hide. Cork bark could work too. Also anything it can blend in with can be placed in the container as a place for it to ambush prey on. They should be kept in a container with almost equal amounts of floor space and height. I keep mine in a cup with more height than floor space. They do good either way but like to sit up high. Any type of substrate works.

Temperature and Humidity: I keep mine at room temp (68 degrees F) with no water in the set up. A water bowl probably won't hurt though.

Temperament: These are very fast and vicious hunters, acting like tiny huntsman spiders. They a super fast and should not be held. They are not aggressive and will flee if possible.

Venom: They are completely harmless to people, but a nightmare to bugs.

My Experience: I caught mine in my friend's mail box. I do not know how she was surviving in there. She ate around the day I caught her and molted after about 2 months. I have had her since September. She has eaten great and I witnessed her demolish a cricket today.

These are wonderful little spiders and I highly recommend keeping one.