• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Phidippus audax!

Sabeth

3 Year Member
The Daring Jumping Spider! This spider has been all over the place where I live (inside the house as well as out) and they're really interesting! Love the green chelicerae. :) Their incredible jumping ability makes them a bit creepy, though. :p Thought I'd post this for all to see! [Note: This is not my own work, I just found it and wanted to share.]

http://www.fcps.edu/islandcreekes/ecology/daring_jumping_spider.htm

:)

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I just caught myself a jumping spider out here in central Texas. Not sure what type it is, but its fairly large (1/4" body length at the moment) with an overall tan body. It does have some nice orange and white markings contrasted with a thick black line on its abdomen, though. Im temporarily keeping it in a tall acrylic box, measuring 1.5"x1.5"x3.5", and it seems adjusted. I was lucky enough to watch it hunt down a small cricket earlier today :).

ipreventdeath

3 Year Member
I had to upload this video of my little jumper chomping down. It appeared to be Phidippus arizonensis or possibly Phidippus carolinensis from what I found online.
I did let the little guy go today though. Hopefully it can find a mate and make more. :)

novakdesigns

3 Year Member
I had to upload this video of my little jumper chomping down. It appeared to be Phidippus arizonensis or possibly Phidippus carolinensis from what I found online.
I did let the little guy go today though. Hopefully it can find a mate and make more. :)
Loving the music you put with it

ta122

Awesome vid! Does anyone know whether jumping spiders bite or are typically docile?
As long as you respect the spider, it won't bite. Don't scare them, corner them, force them with your hands or touch their egg sac without separating Mom. They are far more apt to run away. I have some who will come out of their enclosures and tolerate touching me willingly. I have others I don't even try with. Let them lead, and you won't be bitten.

MBullock

3 Year Member
As long as you respect the spider, it won't bite. Don't scare them, corner them, force them with your hands or touch their egg sac without separating Mom. They are far more apt to run away. I have some who will come out of their enclosures and tolerate touching me willingly. I have others I don't even try with. Let them lead, and you won't be bitten.
It all depends on whether the individual has a strong feeding response. It may sound weird, but you're actually MORE likely to get bit by a Phid that doesnt fear you, especially if you're offering food with your fingers. They will bite a wiggly pinkie, or jump at a blinking eye. gotta be careful lol.

ta122

It all depends on whether the individual has a strong feeding response. It may sound weird, but you're actually MORE likely to get bit by a Phid that doesnt fear you, especially if you're offering food with your fingers. They will bite a wiggly pinkie, or jump at a blinking eye. gotta be careful lol.
Biting fingers if you're feeding by hand is an accident by the spider due to an unnecessary risk by a person. Jumping at your face isn't biting. They do that because your face is higher than your hands, and they are arboreal. I stand by what I said.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Threads so old the original posters videos aren't available anymore....
Squidward at Grave 22102021212150.jpg

MBullock

3 Year Member
Biting fingers if you're feeding by hand is an accident by the spider due to an unnecessary risk by a person. Jumping at your face isn't biting. They do that because your face is higher than your hands, and they are arboreal. I stand by what I said.
You dont have to hand-feed them to get that predatory response, sometimes they simply associate your giant fleshy appendage with food and think "hey that's the big meat thing! OH BOY!" I had a P. johnsoni that was un-handleable because it would instantly try to bite me, not aggressively, but simply because it had an abnormally strong predatory response. I couldnt even hold it like the others, it wasnt scared it just considered me a big chunk of scrumptious flesh lol.

It's kinda like reptiles, actually. Tegus and monitors shouldnt be fed inside their enclosure for this reason they lunge at you because they're simply eager for food.

Latest posts