• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Paratemnopteryx couloniana (Red Goblin Roaches)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just ordered 204 of these. (lol dont ask) They seem much like lateralis, adults are weak climbers, nymphs dont climb, they don't burrow, at any life stage. Not a commonly kept feeder, but I find them interesting, so I ordered some. Anyone ever keep them? I know they require slightly moist sub for the females to put ooths in. I know they hatch quickly, and grow med fast, but pause at sub adult stage and take awhile to mature. Or so I've read. So ill pamper them and see how they do at 80 degrees, spoiled and well fed, untouched for a few months. Should be interesting. Very interesting species, and cool looking too.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i was looking at those when i ordered more feeders last night. I went home after work to add some veggies and found i had 5 adults left in the main colony lol my son must have been power feeding his Ts. In the other colony container i have 200+ pinheads and whatever hte next stage is called, and 6 adult female and 2 males to keep the pinheads going for the 2 tiny T's i have left that eat them.

So let us know how those turn out, i might do a colony of lats and those so i don't feed one off again ;)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I surely will. I'm guessing they'll be rather slower growing than lats or something, otherwise they'd be common feeders. My Eublaberus sp ivory are slow growers. They'll never be the feeders dubia are, I say that with absolute certainty. Mine will end up being a pet colony probably, at least until they start getting crowded. Surinams seem to be rather hardy and prolific, and parthenogenic. I ordered two dozen little kenyans as well, I want to see how they are too. And two H spinigerus scorps :p

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very cool species, I hear they can jump short distances, almost like crickets. They are supposed to be the closest you can get to a cricket, your Ts should love them! :) Hope they do well for you!
They will, I'm sure of it :) They're interesting looking roaches, with those strong back legs and bright red color.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I surely will. I'm guessing they'll be rather slower growing than lats or something, otherwise they'd be common feeders. My Eublaberus sp ivory are slow growers. They'll never be the feeders dubia are, I say that with absolute certainty. Mine will end up being a pet colony probably, at least until they start getting crowded. Surinams seem to be rather hardy and prolific, and parthenogenic. I ordered two dozen little kenyans as well, I want to see how they are too. And two H spinigerus scorps :p
Still no word back from roachcrossing, guess i'll go find these somewhere else. Where did you order them from?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I ordered my goblins from Roach crossing, and four of them from Peter, at BIC. With the lats, Kenyans and scorpions. Kyle at RC usually gets back to me in a day.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Still nothing :( i already ordered from CCR. Have to try RC if I need to order more some day.

Telson

3 Year Member
Just as an update, my little kenyan colony has gone ape**** breeding, they're going to be great feeders for babies. Their climbing skills seem very weak, like surinams, and the standard one inch of petro jelly keeps them off the lid. The goblins are good feeders for arboreal tarantulas and amblypigi, but they breed and grow a bit slower than your average "feeder" roach. Very cool species, regardless. Im going to stop feeding them to my arboreals and concentrate on multiplication:) Very bold roaches, the goblins. They'll crawl right onto your hand. I finally got two adult males in my E sp. Ivory colony, it seems to be taking off well now, plenty of babies in there. That pause before maturity is rather long though. There are more viable feeders for sure. Plus I like my ivories:) I'll post a pic on wi fi at work tonight, takes too long out at my house. Dubia lats and kenyans are recommended for large collections, they meet all needs, from the smallest T to the largest. You could cut out the kenyans, as lat babies would be just fine, but my kenyans are flourishing and seem rather hardy , and very unskilled climbers. Good solid feeders. Hope this helps someone.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I gave up on the kenyans, they are awesome feeders but i couldn't get them to breed at all. I had them in a smaller sterlite container, made a substrate bed for them by cutting the bottom out of a tupperware container that fit quite well in the end of the Sterlite, then hot glued a cardboard "floor" next to that to fill the rest of the container up so it was level with the substrate and they didn't need to climb into it. Started with about 20 kenyans after feeding the other half off.

From what i read they should have matured and used the substrate to dig birthing chambers, but they never used it that i could tell, never went near it. I started finding them dead so fed the remaining ones to my slings and went back to using lats and dubia pieces to feed the smallest slings.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I gave up on the kenyans, they are awesome feeders but i couldn't get them to breed at all. I had them in a smaller sterlite container, made a substrate bed for them by cutting the bottom out of a tupperware container that fit quite well in the end of the Sterlite, then hot glued a cardboard "floor" next to that to fill the rest of the container up so it was level with the substrate and they didn't need to climb into it. Started with about 20 kenyans after feeding the other half off.

From what i read they should have matured and used the substrate to dig birthing chambers, but they never used it that i could tell, never went near it. I started finding them dead so fed the remaining ones to my slings and went back to using lats and dubia pieces to feed the smallest slings.

Yeah, roaches can be dumb sometimes, I don't find it surprising they did not find the substrate box, poor things probably dried out. Really think those should only be kept in cages where the whole floor has substrate, don't think they can survive without it.

Latest posts