• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pandemic!!!

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
A top UK virologist said Covid 19 has not been over hyped by the media and they are expecting a huge increase in UK cases April/May. I'm not trying to scare monger but I've lived through and remember a lot of threatened pandemics that didn't really amount to a lot. This one has felt different from the beginning. For a start it is highly contagious. The problem is that although it only has a mortality rate of somewhere around 1 - 2.2%, should 1000's of people need hospital treatment for lung complications, the NHS won't cope and not everyone will be treated adequately. They only have so many intensive care beds and ventilators. Therefore, in those circumstances not everyone who could have survived will. At the moment, we are just in the very early stages in the Uk and we are going to see it get much, much worse.

E

ExMember

This one has all the hallmarks of being created and released. A lot of things don't add up in my research.

We already have a panic in my province. I haven't been able to buy surgical masks for a month and we just had our first confirmed case yesterday!

Also it doesn't help that the chinese government has been rigging statistics about it too. A lot more fatalities then have been admitted.

Stay safe everyone!

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I was referring to brachy fan suggesting it was made and released by governments.

I personally believe thou that it’s natures way of trying to save itself from a horrible parasite that’s destroying the planet.

Only thing that’s annoying g me about coronavirus is it’s messed up the Moto Gp calendar and I’ve been waiting a long time for the season to start :(

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I was referring to brachy fan suggesting it was made and released by governments.

I personally believe thou that it’s natures way of trying to save itself from a horrible parasite that’s destroying the planet.

Only thing that’s annoying g me about coronavirus is it’s messed up the Moto Gp calendar and I’ve been waiting a long time for the season to start :(

Ah I see, sorry it wasn't clear but I didn't mean to be touchy, so for that I apologise :)

Totally agree with you there, and nature is trying very, very hard to get rid of us atm :)

E

ExMember

Never said it was released by governments. Or intentionally for that matter. You think its a good idea to build a bioweapons facility right next to a food market?

Care more about the races than peoples lives? Thats pretty callous

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Never said it was released by governments. Or intentionally for that matter. You think its a good idea to build a bioweapons facility right next to a food market?

Care more about the races than peoples lives? Thats pretty callous

If something is released it's done purposely. If not then it's not released. No ones ever said anything about building biological weapons, your basically trying to make a story out of nothing.

I didn't say I care more about the races than lives. Just the races over this bull**** overhyped panic over a virus. more people die each year by the common cold than have died so far. More people take their own lives, more people are in need daily than before this outbreak took place and everyone turns a blind eye. Now it's in the media everyone wants to give a ****. It'll amount to nothing.

But your right. I am pretty callous and I think the planet is over populated by a few billion atleast. So I'll go back to what I said. It's the planets way of trying to irradiate a disgusting parasite that's sapping the life out of it.

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club

****, I didn't know that! No that's not good. I haven't looked into this more than the infection control side of things.

I had a message the other day from a guy who advises hospitals in infection control and would be happy to cut and paste his advice for you, if you want it. A lot of it is common sense though.

I work in retail and I'm so fed up with the dirty finger lickers (the ones who lick their fingers before peeling off a note to pay). The middle and old aged men who grab their change out of their pocket and hold it out in their hand expecting me to pick through it, while it's in their sweaty palm (these are the same people who don't wash their hands after using the bathroom)!! Uurgh!! Normally I used to grin and bear it, but I finally snapped on Saturday and thought enough is enough, when this old boy who was coughing into his hand in the queue, reached into his pocket with the same hand, and held out a load of change, and there was all bits of used Kleenex mixed up in it. Euueeew!!! I just told him to put it down on the counter and I'd sort it.

Sorry didn't mean that to turn into a rant!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
6d2436ff0086978cb45dffed09b6f727 (1).jpg

E

ExMember

Sad to say, I guarantee it will be cancelled/postponed seeing as it is due to be held at the time when all the experts say we will be in the peak of Covid 19 cases. It is projected that within the next 12 months 80% of the UK population will catch this thing and out of those 7.9 MILLION people will require hospital treatment.

As I have said to quite a few people recently, who seem to think the NHS will be there for them when needed, we can't take care of our regular sick people. What will we do with 8 million people rocking up to our overcrowded hospitals needing ventilators etc? Lots of people are going to die due to unprecedented demand on services, who would have otherwise survived. People who need cancer treatment, heart bypasses etc etc will not get those operations on time when this thing gets really bad. Our doctors and nurses will get burnt out and end up catching this virus themselves.

I'm doing all I can to try to stay safe and trying to drum it into my nearest and dearest too. I'm one of those people who is prone to chest infections if I catch a cold and my kid has asthma, so yeah I'm worried. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

I do apologise for going off on a tangent though and for making any of you guys feel depressed!

I feel for all you folks on the board. We may be seperated by oceans but the problems are the similar throughout the world.

Canada's health system is not overtaxed like the nhs. It just plain sucks due to mismanagement. An example would be what happened to my Dad. Death panel victim. He had a family history of cancer and was over 65 when he started showing symptoms. He had to wait 2.5 YEARS to get TESTS as he was not a priority. Meanwhile there was a scandal in my province where well off people were cancelling their tests for mundane reasons ( taking family to the fair!) and paying to get the appointment rescheduled for the next week which is illegal. My dad went stage 3 by the time he got his tests. Held it off for a while but he ain't here now. Probably would be if he was in the USA and just able to schedule tests. So it isn't overtaxed as much as the people running it are dumb. My cousin was 20 and got her tests within a month! More taxes to be paid in the future.

I have zero faith in our system to deal with this covid 19 thing. We have had 1 death in our province and 53 cases. They shut down all the schools and daycares. Which will wreck single parent families. I am really concerned. :( Especially about my mum who is not in good shape and going to hospitals.

Plus our dimwit PM is MIA right now. His wife tested positive so she went into qt. Then he did too! And skipped all his meetings etc. And check out this quote
"I really admire China for their basic dictatorship. It is much easier to pass laws!"
Said by him 2+ years before he got elected lol.

We get 2 expos a year here. There is a ban on public gatherings so I guess the one in may is gonna be cancelled.

I hope all of you and yours remain healthy. In for a ride to say the least. I keep up on the UK news as I have a fair bit of family there and my heart is breaking right now.

PS maybe kinda off topic so I will apologize for that. Just some thoughts piggybacking off what @Jess S brought up.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I feel for all you folks on the board. We may be seperated by oceans but the problems are the similar throughout the world.

Canada's health system is not overtaxed like the nhs. It just plain sucks due to mismanagement. An example would be what happened to my Dad. Death panel victim. He had a family history of cancer and was over 65 when he started showing symptoms. He had to wait 2.5 YEARS to get TESTS as he was not a priority. Meanwhile there was a scandal in my province where well off people were cancelling their tests for mundane reasons ( taking family to the fair!) and paying to get the appointment rescheduled for the next week which is illegal. My dad went stage 3 by the time he got his tests. Held it off for a while but he ain't here now. Probably would be if he was in the USA and just able to schedule tests. So it isn't overtaxed as much as the people running it are dumb. My cousin was 20 and got her tests within a month! More taxes to be paid in the future.

I have zero faith in our system to deal with this covid 19 thing. We have had 1 death in our province and 53 cases. They shut down all the schools and daycares. Which will wreck single parent families. I am really concerned. :( Especially about my mum who is not in good shape and going to hospitals.

Plus our dimwit PM is MIA right now. His wife tested positive so she went into qt. Then he did too! And skipped all his meetings etc. And check out this quote
"I really admire China for their basic dictatorship. It is much easier to pass laws!"
Said by him 2+ years before he got elected lol.

We get 2 expos a year here. There is a ban on public gatherings so I guess the one in may is gonna be cancelled.

I hope all of you and yours remain healthy. In for a ride to say the least. I keep up on the UK news as I have a fair bit of family there and my heart is breaking right now.

PS maybe kinda off topic so I will apologize for that. Just some thoughts piggybacking off what @Jess S brought up.
Sorry to hear about your loss and the state of the nation atm.

Like you say, all in for the ride on this one by the looks of it. Our UK govt now predicting 8m UK residents (from population of circa 60m) will require HOSPITAL treatment so that is a staggering number. Plus approx 12 months before finally rid of it.

E

ExMember

Sorry to hear about your loss and the state of the nation atm.

Like you say, all in for the ride on this one by the looks of it. Our UK govt now predicting 8m UK residents (from population of circa 60m) will require HOSPITAL treatment so that is a staggering number. Plus approx 12 months before finally rid of it.

Thanks @Phil . I have heard some crazy numbers coming out of Europe. Also heard there is a vaccine in the UK that has been tested on mice or rats. Hope that works out but will be a while till it's available. We have one in Canada too.... but they claim there isn't time to do proper tests so they want to skip animal trials and go right to human testing?!?!:eek:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks @Phil . I have heard some crazy numbers coming out of Europe. Also heard there is a vaccine in the UK that has been tested on mice or rats. Hope that works out but will be a while till it's available. We have one in Canada too.... but they claim there isn't time to do proper tests so they want to skip animal trials and go right to human testing?!?!:eek:
not heard of any vaccine in UK, but they must be thousands of fake news items out there atm.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Sad to say, I guarantee it will be cancelled/postponed seeing as it is due to be held at the time when all the experts say we will be in the peak of Covid 19 cases. It is projected that within the next 12 months 80% of the UK population will catch this thing and out of those 7.9 MILLION people will require hospital treatment.

As I have said to quite a few people recently, who seem to think the NHS will be there for them when needed, we can't take care of our regular sick people. What will we do with 8 million people rocking up to our overcrowded hospitals needing ventilators etc? Lots of people are going to die due to unprecedented demand on services, who would have otherwise survived. People who need cancer treatment, heart bypasses etc etc will not get those operations on time when this thing gets really bad. Our doctors and nurses will get burnt out and end up catching this virus themselves.

I'm doing all I can to try to stay safe and trying to drum it into my nearest and dearest too. I'm one of those people who is prone to chest infections if I catch a cold and my kid has asthma, so yeah I'm worried. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't.

I do apologise for going off on a tangent though and for making any of you guys feel depressed!

I'm getting pretty sick of this bull**** about this. The whole world is going mental because of it . Remember when Ebola was gonna kill 75% of the population? Or when the large hadron collider was going to create a black hole that'll swallow up the solar system? 2012 the world was going to end as predicted in manuscript?

Stop watching the news cos it's no longer news. It's now just a tv show that needs ratings. Yes people have died but peopls die all the time. I mean for **** sake. Take a step back and look at what's happening. People are fighting over toilet paper.................getting a regular shop in is near impossible cos morons like you are getting hysterical and panicking over effectively a different strain of the flu.

We're suppose to be an intelligent form of life and 80% of us no longer know our arse from our elbows

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
I'm getting pretty sick of this bull**** about this. The whole world is going mental because of it . Remember when Ebola was gonna kill 75% of the population? Or when the large hadron collider was going to create a black hole that'll swallow up the solar system? 2012 the world was going to end as predicted in manuscript?

Stop watching the news cos it's no longer news. It's now just a tv show that needs ratings. Yes people have died but peopls die all the time. I mean for **** sake. Take a step back and look at what's happening. People are fighting over toilet paper.................getting a regular shop in is near impossible cos morons like you are getting hysterical and panicking over effectively a different strain of the flu.

We're suppose to be an intelligent form of life and 80% of us no longer know our arse from our elbows

Did you seriously just refer to me as a moron? And this is 'friendly forum, where the nice people gather'.

Latest posts