• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pamphobeteus sp "insignis" (Ecuador) vs Pamphobeteus sp insignis (Colombia)

NorseDad

I purchased a sling from an expo this weekend labeled P. insignis. I know the Pamphobeteus is a messy group from a classification point of view. Could someone educate me on the main differences between the Pamphobeteus sp "insignis" (Ecuador) vs. Pamphobeteus sp insignis (Columbia). Does anyone have pictures of mature adults to show the differences between the two locales? I haven't been able to find a ton of information beyond that the Ecuadorian "insignis" has slings with the Christmas tree pattern. P.S. Added the best picture I could get at the moment of my new baby for interest.

IMG_6218 (1).jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
As far as I'm aware the 'columbia' has purple femurs when it gets its adult colouration - the 'ecuador' is darker in colour all over from my understanding?
We have a SAF 'columbia' but it's buried away at the moment (although it makes the odd appearance late at night) if I can grab a picture I will but its no way got its full adult coloration yet -
If I remember rightly @Todd Gearheart has replied to some posts on here regarding pamphobeteus so I'm guess he's dealt with a lot of them so hopefully he might chime in :)
Sorry I can't be of more help

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have one of each. Greenfingers is correct. The Columbia form lack the Christmas tree pattern and are pretty expensive to acquire (both are expensive but the Columbia costs more than the Ecuador). The Ecuador have the Christmas tree pattern. The one you have posted a picture of is the "Ecuador".

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have one of each. Greenfingers is correct. The Columbia form lack the Christmas tree pattern and are pretty expensive to acquire (both are expensive but the Columbia costs more than the Ecuador). The Ecuador have the Christmas tree pattern. The one you have posted a picture of is the "Ecuador".
Apologies that I didn't tag you @Casey K... I forgot that you had some of these little beauties :)

Latest posts