• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Pamphobeteus as a first T

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In everyone's opinion, which ones would be a good first new world terrestrial?

If not, why not?

Overall, my P sp machala is very similar to my L klugi when at the same size but I keep her a bit more moist, over 50% humidity when I bother to check.

If LP is a good first one, why not one of these?

Any thoughts?

Aside from watching the humidity a bit more, what's the difference?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't think I've heard anyone ever say they were a bad first T.
They are harder to come by and sometimes can be expensive. I've seen prices from $60-$110 for a sling. They are known to be high stung as juveniles but mellow out as adults. I like mine but I wouldn't suggest it for first time tarantula owner...maybe for a 2nd or 3rd tarantula. The reason I say this is because at feeding time I've had my juvenile jump completely out of its enclosure trying to grab a hopping cricket. They are extremely aggresive and fast when feeding. Also when changing its water it ran out of its burrow and up my tongs onto my arm faster then I could react. A new owner may freak out if this happened to them. I love this species and it's one of my favorites but there's more laid back Ts to recommend for a first time newbie. I know it gets boring recommending the same boring "pet rock" Ts. All it takes is to get one high strung machala like mine and you've just ruined a new person to the hobby...not to mention the future care of that T. P.s. I wouldn't recommend a L.P. either as a first time newbie Tarantula.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
An L.P. takes alot more to care for than let's say a Brachypelma. They require alot more food for one and the hairs can be a problem as well. A great 2nd T in my opinion. I've actually recieved a L.P. from someone once because she was scared of it. Found it a new home for her.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Like Arachnoclown said it basically just depends on the person. Some people come to this hobby out of fascination with an animal they still fear (which is great, it just takes them time to get over it, or manage it). Some people pick up spiders with their hands when they're still children, and have never feared them. As far as care, you're right, a Pampho just requires a little more attention. No biggy. Many noobs still don't do their research though..which leads to paranoia in some spider lovers, and affects every bit of advice they give;) Then the newer folks pick up on this and repeat what they believe is "veteran advice" and you have mass hysteria. Lmao. Sorry, it's the way I see it.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm with Mass on this one, I don't tong feed anyway,
I let them hunt, its what they do best:p
As far as the rest, education and a little common sense, (and naturally loads of patience)
is about what it takes to be successful regardless of what T you get first second or third.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine just runs into it's hide when I open it up for feeding. Since I have a screen lid, I just pour the water right in without opening anything.

I can see them running if there is no hiding place. Mine can really get up and go when there is sufficient motivation, namely food or running for shelter.

Generally I like it when the T time and hides whenever I open the cage. They'll come out in 5 or 10 minutes as soon as they realize food is present. If the feeder attempts to run in the burrow or hide, even better.

Using a larger cage makes it easier to maintain because you can scoot them out of the way without being in their face all the time. Keeping mine in one of those softball clear boxes or a fish bowl would be a nightmare. Currently, she's about 2.5" and in a 3 gallon Terra Blue professional enclosure.

Trust and believe. She had no problem dominating the entire cage and I've never had a feeder survive more then an hour. Actually, is kinda fun to put it far away from the T and make her hunt for it!!

The nice thing about my P sp machala is that she ignores you if you stay away from the lid and refrain from using the higher settings on the flashlight. The eyeshine is also quite attractive.

Still, I have the cage in a dimmer area on the shelf. You can really stand still and watch her....usually sitting dead center doing nothing but watching you back.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine just runs into it's hide when I open it up for feeding. Since I have a screen lid, I just pour the water right in without opening anything.

I can see them running if there is no hiding place. Mine can really get up and go when there is sufficient motivation, namely food or running for shelter.

Generally I like it when the T time and hides whenever I open the cage. They'll come out in 5 or 10 minutes as soon as they realize food is present. If the feeder attempts to run in the burrow or hide, even better.

Using a larger cage makes it easier to maintain because you can scoot them out of the way without being in their face all the time. Keeping mine in one of those softball clear boxes or a fish bowl would be a nightmare. Currently, she's about 2.5" and in a 3 gallon Terra Blue professional enclosure.

Trust and believe. She had no problem dominating the entire cage and I've never had a feeder survive more then an hour. Actually, is kinda fun to put it far away from the T and make her hunt for it!!

The nice thing about my P sp machala is that she ignores you if you stay away from the lid and refrain from using the higher settings on the flashlight. The eyeshine is also quite attractive.

Still, I have the cage in a dimmer area on the shelf. You can really stand still and watch her....usually sitting dead center doing nothing but watching you back.
And THAT is why the big South Americans are king. They know you're walking around them, looking at them. And they just sit there looking fat and hairy and uncaring.