• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

PAIRING NOT GOING WELL

jasperbagley

Hey all,

i’ve had a male and femaleG Porteri for quite some time. I’ve tried pairing them on multiple occasions. Every time, the mail ends up running away. He has his TIbial hooks. Taps quite a bit in his enclosure. He just will not pair with her. Could it be that she’s too big? She is about 6 inches in length. She is very big. I don’t know what to do.
6621651A-CA3E-4288-AE6B-A57E4D9B976E.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I’d be reluctant to pair to if I was being pulled about like that. If he keeps running away then there isn’t much you can do. Has he created a sperm web? Or are you just throwing him in for the hell of it? (Btw I have very little experience when it comes to breeding)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Quite a few years lol. I've had her for about 12 years.

Ahhh.....that could be it. Usually, it's best to molt this species within 6 months post molt. Not saying you won't produce a sac but perhaps the female is close to another molt.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
sounds good! I'll wait. Why would this cause the male to run away though? Like she drums and stuff but the male will always run away

She could be luring him in for lunch and he just isn't dumb enough to fall for it, lol. Smart T. She may have absorbed her eggs, too.