• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. subfusca...both LL?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi pokie experts out there. Got 2 AF P Subfusca that were both purchased as LowLand. There is a slight difference in patterns on abdomen and on the carapace, although not clear in the photo (top), one also has a purple sheen to it too.

Q. Both LL, Both HL or one of each and if one of each, which is which?

Thanks in advance :)
20200712_173818.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im no expert lol.. This calls for @Arachnoclown as I'm sure he will 100% know.. But from what I can see (I'm probably wrong) but I think the top photo is HL and the bottom photo is LL... The reason I think this is as far as I'm aware the HL has that carapace pattern and the purple sheen the LL has the more defined abdominal markings.. Although we have all the pokies currently available in the hobby - I'm doing my best to learn the difference between them all lol :) always learning...

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Top picture looks like a HL

Bottom pic looks like a LL (notice the lighter coloration of the carapace)

Also with the LL there is a white patch around/near the eyes and with the HL there is not.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Also with the LL there is a white patch near the eyes and with the HL there is not.
that's what I was thinking HL top, LL bootom....that's why I put them in that order to send subliminal messages about one being high and one being low ;) :D

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
that's what I was thinking HL top, LL bootom....that's why I put them in that order to send subliminal messages about one being high and one being low ;) :D

Doesn't matter. If you switched them up I still would've gotten it right. Lol. If you're ever unsure about keeping them you can always send them my way (private collection of course ;) )

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Also with the LL there is a white patch around/near the eyes and with the HL there is not.
Thanks for replying @Casey K.... For what's its worth I'm pleased my guess was right :)
I'm getting there with my pokie identification lol :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Highland are usually the boldest in color of the two. :) The lowland is lighter in color and gets larger than the highland.
I had a lowland MM and he was very light in colour in his ultimate moult which was quite surprising ... Cute little guy he was but I had him a couple of years then he died as no one wanted him for breeding at the time so a bit of a waste :(

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There has been a lot of discussion on this subject over on "the dark side". This differentiation seems to be quite contraversial, in general. Opinions, like fingerprints seem to vary uniquely. Many at "the site not spoken" believe that hybridization has been so pervasive that it has essentially become color variations of the same spider. I have been told that each "variation" has been seen in the same sac.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Could be @WolfSpider. I was told that they were once 2 different color variations under the same species (Poecilotheria subfusca) but now they are classified as 2 different species under the same genus. They should appropriately be labeled as "Poecilotheria subfusca" and "Poecilotheria highland". That (if I'm not mistaken) was the last taxonomic re-classification of them.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Top is highland
Bottom is highland
Edited my original comment. Both appear to have clear star markings on the abdomen. Top one is a little blurry but I think it's fair to say highland too.
Attached is a lowland....
20200713_091358.jpg

Last edited:

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
the carapace colour is significantly lighter on your LL than either of mine so you say both HL then clown
Could be @WolfSpider. I was told that they were once 2 different color variations under the same species (Poecilotheria subfusca) but now they are classified as 2 different species under the same genus. They should appropriately be labeled as "Poecilotheria subfusca" and "Poecilotheria highland". That (if I'm not mistaken) was the last taxonomic re-classification of them.

Damn, I should have done them as poll answers, I like to see bar charts. Play with spreadsheets all day. ha ha

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did one not change to Poecilotheria bara?

Latest posts