• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P smithi molt

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Got another molt from my p.smithi today. I managed to measure it against the side of the enclosure, 4" now. Its amazing how its grown. I got it as a freebie when i bought my p.metallica slings at the beginning of january this year. It was only about 2cm when i got it.
5c1309d3ddd2e449f3c9aa00e5689a04.jpg

d38c7ed8de5391538730d6cb35f748e5.jpg

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Thanks, i was hoping to sex it but the abdomen is chewed right near the top book lungs, just have to wait till the next molt i suppose lol

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, i was hoping to sex it but the abdomen is chewed right near the top book lungs, just have to wait till the next molt i suppose lol
Nice one ☺. If you get a good ventral shot there are a couple of members on here who are really good at sexing from ventral. Should be big enough. Try to get a picture shooting from below and towards the book lungs.they amy even be able to do it by zooming in the one you have already and/or advise more.
@Casey K. And @Thistles......any thoughts on the original pic in the post?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Definitely need a clear shot and a bit closer if you could. I can make an educated guess based on book lung spacing and agree with @Thistles and say male but I'm not standing 100% behind that guess just because of the quality of the picture. Help me out, brother....lol....get us a better pic!

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Definitely need a clear shot and a bit closer if you could. I can make an educated guess based on book lung spacing and agree with @Thistles and say male but I'm not standing 100% behind that guess just because of the quality of the picture. Help me out, brother....lol....get us a better pic!
So just cos I always get this sexing stuff wrong Casey, what is the significance and difference with the book lung spacing? Would help me a lot to work it out as I keep trying and failing miserably to work it out. I need one of those "sexing for dummies" books I reckon. Wonder if you can get that on Kindle. ...lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs. Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
But it's not the case in all species so it's always more accurate to sex by molt. :) Also, usually in males there will appear to be a "belly button" between the top two book lungs and in females there appears to be a set of "lips" between the top two book lungs (exuvium area). It's not always an accurate way to sex. There are some species (Aphonopelma) that are difficult to sex this way. It may take a while to get it down and even I make mistakes STILL- just rarely. ;)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Usually, the females book lung spacing is closer together (top left is close to bottom left and top right is closer to bottom right) but there is a wider space between the bottom two book lungs. Males are the opposite. The top left and bottom left have more space between them and so on for the top right & bottom right. The bottom set of book lungs tend to be "closer" together.
Thank you. That was really useful. I need to remember that one and obviously this helps when there is more than one of he same species/size to compare again ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
But it's not the case in all species so it's always more accurate to sex by molt. :) Also, usually in males there will appear to be a "belly button" between the top two book lungs and in females there appears to be a set of "lips" between the top two book lungs (exuvium area). It's not always an accurate way to sex. There are some species (Aphonopelma) that are difficult to sex this way. It may take a while to get it down and even I make mistakes STILL- just rarely. ;)
Posts crossed. I take it all back now......lmao

Latest posts