• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P Sazimai slings are they fragile?

AndrewClayton

Last Tuesday I took receipt of a P Sazimai sling about 5/6mm it was tiny and pretty lethargic but I assumed it was due to the post so put it in its enclosure and tried to feed it a few days later on a tiny baby bean weavil but it refused so I removed it. When I checked today it was dead. Did I do anything wrong here is the setup substrate is slightly moist same as I keep all my slings. This is the 1st I’ve kept this and the 1st sling death Ive had , I need to rectify this as to not lose any in the future.
C350C77B-03B0-48DB-AAEC-B34930CA75C8.jpeg

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
Gutted for you. If it was lethargic on opening, I think something happened to it on the journey that caused it to pass, rather than anything you did. Obviously, whatever happened to it was bad enough for it not to pull through after a few quiet days in its new enclosure. P. sazimai's are normally the complete opposite of lethargic after all :)
Only thing I do different (and you have way more keeping experience than me) is I use a tiny waterdish even in the vials. But not everyone does. Some people prefer to spray a side or put a scrunched up wet strand of spagnum moss as the drinking source. Just comes down to personal preference + wouldn't make a difference to a slings health.

AndrewClayton

Gutted for you. If it was lethargic on opening, I think something happened to it on the journey that caused it to pass, rather than anything you did. Obviously, whatever happened to it was bad enough for it not to pull through after a few quiet days in its new enclosure. P. sazimai's are normally the complete opposite of lethargic after all :)
Only thing I do different (and you have way more keeping experience than me) is I use a tiny waterdish even in the vials. But not everyone does. Some people prefer to spray a side or put a scrunched up wet strand of spagnum moss as the drinking source. Just comes down to personal preference + wouldn't make a difference to a slings health.
I keep a tiny water dish in the vials too that’s actually smaller than a vial it’s like a 20ml condiment cup I use them as water dishes for other Ts but that was so small I used it as it’s enclose the substrate was slightly moist so it should have been able to get a drink from there I’m gutted it’s the 1st unexplainable death I’ve had.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Last Tuesday I took receipt of a P Sazimai sling about 5/6mm it was tiny and pretty lethargic but I assumed it was due to the post so put it in its enclosure and tried to feed it a few days later on a tiny baby bean weavil but it refused so I removed it. When I checked today it was dead. Did I do anything wrong here is the setup substrate is slightly moist same as I keep all my slings. This is the 1st I’ve kept this and the 1st sling death Ive had , I need to rectify this as to not lose any in the future.
View attachment 40565
so sad to hear of the little one passing. I agree with @Jess S, most likely the 'damage' was caused in transit. Posting spiders can be a delicate operation and good packaging and protection is essential..Were others in the parcel packaged the same way and did they survive ok?
I keep a detailed spreadsheet on all the spiders I have owned and death rate even under optimum conditions is circa 10 to 12% so there is always a degree of inevitability.
One observation on your set up. It looks a tad large for the size if the spider. they literally only need 2 to 3 times the body length space. they like to feel safe and be in small areas which also helps them to catch prey. Having said that, I doubt it had any bearing on losing the little one, most likely the journey was too much for it.

AndrewClayton

so sad to hear of the little one passing. I agree with @Jess S, most likely the 'damage' was caused in transit. Posting spiders can be a delicate operation and good packaging and protection is essential..Were others in the parcel packaged the same way and did they survive ok?
I keep a detailed spreadsheet on all the spiders I have owned and death rate even under optimum conditions is circa 10 to 12% so there is always a degree of inevitability.
One observation on your set up. It looks a tad large for the size if the spider. they literally only need 2 to 3 times the body length space. they like to feel safe and be in small areas which also helps them to catch prey. Having said that, I doubt it had any bearing on losing the little one, most likely the journey was too much for it.
It was packaged the exact same as the 2 Hysterocrates sp Cameroon I got and there easily 3 times the size. That enclosure is just the same diameter as a 25 ml vial but only about 25 mm deep rather than the 50 mm vial

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's probably just bad luck. I had 4 B sabolsum slings. For some reason, one just failed to thrive.

The only slight improvement I could suggest is using a plastic soda cap as a water dish. There's plenty of room for one in the deli cup.

Most likely, it wouldn't have made a difference.

AndrewClayton

It's probably just bad luck. I had 4 B sabolsum slings. For some reason, one just failed to thrive.

The only slight improvement I could suggest is using a plastic soda cap as a water dish. There's plenty of room for one in the deli cup.

Most likely, it wouldn't have made a difference.
It’s a tiny deli cup deeper than a soda cap but about the same diameter slightly bigger with that in there I wouldn’t be able to put substrate in it I have the end of a pen in my Holothele Sericea for a water dish
82485BFD-3CCE-4E4C-A096-BE1735487F72.jpeg