• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

p regalis and p fasciata hide question

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
So I've been trying to figure out what to add for a hide for my pokies but seeing as how a 32 oz deli container has limited space do you think the cardboard tube that toilet paper is on would be safe to use? the size is ideal but I'm just wondering if its safe to use?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I've been trying to figure out what to add for a hide for my pokies but seeing as how a 32 oz deli container has limited space do you think the cardboard tube that toilet paper is on would be safe to use? the size is ideal but I'm just wondering if its safe to use?
It would work fine. I honestly don't recommend tubes though, my AF regalis never comes out of hers. I'm going to rehouse her with a flat piece of bark leaned up against the side so I can see her occasionally, even if she webs up some curtains.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
It would work fine. I honestly don't recommend tubes though, my AF regalis never comes out of hers. I'm going to rehouse her with a flat piece of bark leaned up against the side so I can see her occasionally, even if she webs up some curtains.
hm.. well I'll proll try tubes for awhile since you confirmed it's safe I just not seeing them as often.. I knew as grown spiders this would happen but not so soon lol but to not have a hide isn't fait to the t's and I'd like bark hides but seeing how it's late I'll use tubes lol

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
hm.. well I'll proll try tubes for awhile since you confirmed it's safe I just not seeing them as often.. I knew as grown spiders this would happen but not so soon lol but to not have a hide isn't fait to the t's and I'd like bark hides but seeing how it's late I'll use tubes lol

Just watch them because if they get damp they tend to go mouldy quite quickly

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
ok so I decided to add the hide with them in the container so I didn't need to transfer them... well the fasciata was a champ.. no issues it just flinched a few times my regalis was a task lol.. while trying to press the tube into the eco earth so it wouldn't tip over it's flight mode kicked in and it ran EVERYWHERE in a matter of seconds lol.. it even climbed up the tube while I was installing it but in the end it worked out but geez the regalis are so dang fast lol

Marija

3 Year Member
When I got my four pokie slings I didn't know what to put also and it's hard to find some cork bark tubes that small where I live. I went to the local pet store to see what I can find and saw some interesting tubes that are actually made for hamsters.
1600_1600.jpg
I baked it in the oven shortly just in case and cut it in four pieces.
16908807_266297310482519_7968836180164739072_n.jpg
It worked perfectly and the pokies love it.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've never used tubes for Ts after a snake I had got stuck in one. I just use a flat piece of cork bark against the side of the container, it's so easy to cut.
Even my new 1st instar pokie seems happy with the arrangement and has just burrowed under the bottom corner of its little piece.

Tricocyst

3 Year Member
ok so as @Enn49 stated.. the cardboard absorbs moisture very well and was damp so I decided to cut parts off of my cork bark round hides and propped it up.. the t's seem to like it a lot even though I had to be persistent with the fasciata.. it webbed it up a lot and refused to leave it's home lol.. so I dropped a cricket in both pokies containers as a I'm sorry gift lol

Pasodama

3 Year Member
Just watch them because if they get damp they tend to go mouldy quite quickly

Took the words right out of my mouth.;)
Was going to say the same thing until I saw your post.
I use them for hatchling/small snakes. If snake dumps some water, and tube gets wet, mold sets in before you can blink.

Pasodama

3 Year Member
ok so as @Enn49 stated.. the cardboard absorbs moisture very well and was damp so I decided to cut parts off of my cork bark round hides and propped it up.. the t's seem to like it a lot even though I had to be persistent with the fasciata.. it webbed it up a lot and refused to leave it's home lol.. so I dropped a cricket in both pokies containers as a I'm sorry gift lol

That is what I do for my baby arboreals. Cut pieces off (with length in mind), of cork bark, and prop them up (securely).

Latest posts