• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P metallica

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi guys just a quick question my female p Metallica has spent the last couple of days just sitting on her substrate hardly moving. Her colourings have gone dull but bald spot on abdomen just wondering if she is in pre molt . She is about 6 inches

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys just a quick question my female p Metallica has spent the last couple of days just sitting on her substrate hardly moving. Her colourings have gone dull but bald spot on abdomen just wondering if she is in pre molt . She is about 6 inches
Can you put some pics up? Not great if she's on the substrate.. Has she done any webbing recently?

Seamus

3 Year Member
20201003_175433.jpg
20201003_175353.jpg
20201003_175250.jpg
20201003_175230.jpg

20201003_175353.jpg

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She looks OK to me-- she's not curling her legs in anyway - has she got a water dish in there?
She may very well moult but it's unusual to see pokies on the sub like that..

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She looks good to me. I don’t see the bald spot you pointed out... How big is that terrarium?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Bald spots...Poecilotheria don't have urticating hairs so that would never be a sign of premolt. Poecilotheria on the ground is fine...they are truley semi arboreal so this wouldn't be odd to see. Nearly all of my Poecilotheria are burrowed in the ground. Poecilotheria don't show signs of premolt physically. Besides the obvious not eating, They will web off the entrance to their burrow. Ive also seen them web a hammock on the ground out in the open. She looks healthy to me.

Seamus

3 Year Member
Bald spots...Poecilotheria don't have urticating hairs so that would never be a sign of premolt. Poecilotheria on the ground is fine...they are truley semi arboreal so this wouldn't be odd to see. Nearly all of my Poecilotheria are burrowed in the ground. Poecilotheria don't show signs of premolt physically. Besides the obvious not eating, They will web off the entrance to their burrow. Ive also seen them web a hammock on the ground out in the open. She looks healthy to me.
Thanks for your reply

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Our pokies are always half burrowed in the ground and dirt curtains and sub chucked everywhere :) I must say I've never seen any of ours laying on the ground like that before.. Well not where I can see them anyway :)

Pamela mansfield

I would say yes my theraposa stirmi took a total of 3 months with being a big spider only moved to drink when shes close you will see her abdomen go darker with the new hairs underneath

Latest posts