• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Metallica Sling not eating?? (updated) (see new post)

kylepeach

3 Year Member
Got a new one recently.. been 3 days ago now. Hasn't been interested in eating. Not sure why.. Got any ideas?

My theory: stressed or pre-molt

Details:

The day I got it, I rehoused it and threw in 2 crickets (not pin heads, one size up from pin heads). It wasn't interested in eating at all. One cricket even managed to crawl under the spiderlings' legs! I was impressed it didn't even flinch for the food. Pulled the crickets out and went to bed. Next morning tried re-feeding it. Even dangled it in front of it, again, disinterested. I realized maybe it's new house was a bit too big (a sling in a 9"x6"x6" inch... yeah too big). So I rehoused it that evening in a temporary enclosure while I cleaned out it's original enclosure to be rehoused in.

The next morning (today, April 5), with its original enclosure cleaned with new coco wood chips/fiber, little bit of moss, a bamboo leaf, and a thin rounded cardboard hide for it to mimic a tree and climb on, I moved it back into its original enclosure, the one the sling came in when I purchased it. But before I rehoused it back into its original enclosure I tried feeding it just to see if it might be hungry now.... No luck.

Just wanted to ask the larger community and get your input, comments, theory's, questions.. What do you think?

The picture is P. Metallica in it's newly cleaned, original enclosure. I will try feeding the sling during the evening tonight to see if it is hungry. I also noticed that it had started to make webbing on the moss of its original enclosure the day I purchased it, before I cleaned it out. (I had decided to clean it's original enclosure because there were lot's of cricket carcasses in the enclosure trapped in the substrate and 1 small molt, it was teeny tiny).

So, what are your guys' thoughts!?

Thanks for your help!

20180405_163023.jpg

I posted the original thread here...

Please check it out

https://tarantulaforum.com/threads/p-metallica-sling-isnt-eating.21852/

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I'm currently going through this same situation. My sling ate the day after I received it and then completely stopped. I just assumed it was pre-molt. I usually never stress about a T not eating, if they are hungry, they will. My sling looks to be the same size as yours but the abdomen on mine is a bit bigger. Give it a few days and try again, don't stress too much. Gorgeous slings! I love how in the photo it looks as though the sling is reaching for the 1" mark! :)

kylepeach

3 Year Member
I'm currently going through this same situation. My sling ate the day after I received it and then completely stopped. I just assumed it was pre-molt. I usually never stress about a T not eating, if they are hungry, they will. My sling looks to be the same size as yours but the abdomen on mine is a bit bigger. Give it a few days and try again, don't stress too much. Gorgeous slings! I love how in the photo it looks as though the sling is reaching for the 1" mark! :)
Thanks!

Haha Yeah! Looks like it's reaching to grow ;)

kylepeach

3 Year Member
So....

my P. metallica passed away.. wasn't sure why. It went through a successful molt, hardened up and I don't think it ever ate after that. I did a few re-houses that were pretty stress free and successful. The sling was very happy. I think I remember leaving a dead cricket in the husbandry over night, it must've chewed on it, maybe, I wish.

I thought it wasn't getting enough airflow or heat so the last re-housing was very well ventilated and I purchased a small heat mat and kept it near the terrarium.

kylepeach

3 Year Member
You know, looking back on that picture in the first posting, the sling definitely shrunk after its last molt.... whatcha think that might mean? Not eating? Not drinking?

The terrarium was well humidified and I would always remove the crickets if the sling refused to eat, which was always. I know you should definitely wait to feed after a molt, which I did. but always attempted to feed everyday after about day 4-5 after the molt. And alternated between 1 cm." or less crickets

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Without seeing the new setup, your statement “well himidified” stands out to me. They don’t need a bunch of moisture. Too mich humidity and not enough airflow can definitely be a problem. just a guess though.

Sorry for the loss. It always sucks to lose one.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Always have a water dish!! Since arboreal spiders live in fresh air, have some ventilation especially cross ventilation if at all possible. Jamie's tarantulas has the proper enclosures for both terrestrial and arboreal slings. Try a purpose built one, not something home made. The costs are very reasonable.