• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P.metallica sling bad molt

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
For those who didnt know one of my p.metallica slings started molting on saturday night. On sunday morning, unfortunalty i found it stuck in the molt  it was still alive, but it looked like a losing battle. Its front 2 legs and palps were free but the other 6 legs and abdomen were stuck. I rigged up an icu and put it in. I came home from work today to find it lay inside the small water dish i put inside the icu. I thought the worst but as i picked it out of the dish, it sprang to life and tried to bite me  anyway, im not someone who will let a pet suffer and thought if it dies then ive lost a pet, but if i try to help it out of the molt and it dies, i gave it half a chance more than it has now. So i got out my small tweezers and tried to free it. Obviously this was tricky and i didnt manage to completely get it out, but i have managed to seperate its last 6 legs, although they still have the molt on them, they arnt bunched together anymore, i did get the molt off the abdomen though. I redid the icu, added more paper towel to hold more moisture and removed the water dish. Its moving around by dragging itself with its fangs. Its not out of the woods yet, but its still fighting. I will keep everyone updated, fingers crossed.
1ff3e7928dc38a105eb32c02abffa78b.jpg

Last edited:

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Fingers crossed this little one makes it.
Im hoping so, it seems to be drinking from the paper towel so im hoping it can get enough fluids to build up its strength and free its legs properly. If it survives it will obviously be badly deformed and probs wont be able to hunt properly but ill happily pre kill food and tong feed it if thats what needs to be done. It kills me to loose them, natures way i suppose but ill give mother nature a fight and try to keep this little one alive [emoji57]

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Absolutely. Even if it detaches a few legs, if you can keep it fed it can hopefully molt out again properly! Sending good energy your way for this little one.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Quick update, checked again aftet work today. Still alive but its reactions (like when im opening the icu, sunday and yesterday it would wiggle around) and over all movements have lessened. I will give it another 24hrs and then try to feed it pre killed prey.
There are still parts of the molt stuck on the ends of its legs, what are the chances of it getting these off by itself? Would it be able to survive long term with the molt stuck on its legs if it manages to eat and drink anyway? Has anyone else experienced a bad molt like this and the T survived?

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
Update, unfortunatly ronnie has passed away [emoji26] poor little thing, tried to fight against the odds but it was all too much in the end. This is my 4th loss (my first loss was years ago, my first T that i had when i was younger) and it never seems to get easier. Most peoples fear is my passion. RIP little ronnie [emoji20]

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update, unfortunatly ronnie has passed away [emoji26] poor little thing, tried to fight against the odds but it was all too much in the end. This is my 4th loss (my first loss was years ago, my first T that i had when i was younger) and it never seems to get easier. Most peoples fear is my passion. RIP little ronnie [emoji20]
So sorry. That is sad.