• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Metallica behavior

Tschorm

Hy guys,
I have a quick question about my poecilotherica metallica. She has moltet like 3-4 month ago, now one leg is shorter than the rest, did´nt notice something wrong in her behavior/movement before premolt but it seems that she must have dropped the leg at somepoint, but thats not the problem, it seems that she is on a pretty harsh diet now, has`nt eaten anything after molting. Not when I tried tongfeeding her, even when she was sitting legs out on the entrance to her treehide, like she wants to grab the next best thing that comes by. But everytime she gets spooked and returns to her hide, so I tried leaving one chricket in her enclosure for some time and let it wander on its own to the entrance, pretty much same effekt, she just retreads back into und up her hide. I know that T´s can go a long time without food, and that this spezies is very shy off light and likes to hide all day long, what makes checking on her pretty hard, but from what I can see is her abdomen still not dangerously small, at the moment I keep her enclosure a little bit more moistered and provide water for her allday long. But could it be that she isnt enjoing her enclosure, maybe to big or to empty?
Had some green in there but it died off, seems the substrate isnt suited for plants but earth with fertilizer is not good for T´s probably have to get some plastic plants to make it look nice and give her more space to better climb around and hide behind. But the point is at the moment its pretty much just her hide and a branch and a couple off dried up leafes from my palmtree, looks pretty boring, I have to say.
The other thing is her hide, from the inside it has gotten pretty filthy, her old molt is stuck in there with all the webbing from molting, dont know if I should give her another option for a new hide so she relocate if she wants to. Don´t think it would be a good idear to clean her hide forcefully.
Her dls is about 5/6 cm when just sitting on the glas, and her enclosure is like 20x20x40. Think its a bit to big for her, but with the makeshift "plants" there is not really a danger for her falling all the way from the top to the bottom when she slips.
Would be nice to hear some off your thoughts on the matter, I mean at the moment its not really an emergency, just wanted to hear if its within normal behavior for that old world to not eat for so long expecially after molting, or if something is maybe off that needs some change.

Thx in advance and sry for any spelling errors =P

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Plastic plants will do fine for her and they do like to use them to anchor their webbing.
Don't worry about the leg, it will grow back in a moult or 2.
One thing I've found with my P. metallica is that she has never liked large crickets, even at 6" dls she much prefers a few medium crickets to 1-2 large ones. She has always been fed a slightly smaller food item so maybe yours is similar.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you sure shes a she???
Mature males sometimes refuse food for a while after molting.
Sounds like it needs a house cleaning. Capture it in a catch cup and clean it up. No big deal...spiders dont have feelings. No worries. :)

Last edited:

spodermin

A few notes

As Enn said, fake plants are just fine. I'll add a pic of my P. Regalis enclosure which I added a huge bushy fake plant to make her come out more, she took the corner behind it and webbed dirt to seal it off making it into a hide.

Don't try to watch her eat. If you know she hasn't eaten since the molt, put 2 or 3 appropriate sized crickets in there and leave her alone for a few days somewhere pitch black. My metallicas ate one species that will never eat in front of me.

The dropped leg seems unrelated so long as she's otherwise healthy, and it will grow back.

@Arachnoclown OP said the spider is 5 or 6 cm so there's no way it's a mature male

Just make sure everything is optimal and then stop disturbing her. She will eat when she's ready. As for the dirtiness, clean it if you can, but if it were me I'd want to see her eat first. Old molts being webbed in aren't a huge problem

spodermin

Forgot to add this

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200115_092841.jpg
    Screenshot_20200115_092841.jpg
    530 KB · Views: 36

Tschorm

Found her sadly today dead on the floor off her hide =( I tried smaller chrickets, and kept the waterdish full at every time, tried to keep her in a part off my flat that´s a lot less busy, every now and then I saw her wandering around ignoring the chrickets from what I saw, sometimes she was just mm away from it, I don´t know if she was drinking from time to time or not, but in the end she just starved out =(
My only guess is that something went wrong while she was in premolt, the day I bought her she was refusing allready food, but than she was molting, waitet a week before trying to feed her the fist time and since than she never ate anything ... I am really clueless here, the other T´s are doing fine some odd behavios here and there but still fine

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Sorry to hear that. I lost a MM a few weeks ago. I was expecting it sooner or later. But it's still not nice to loose a life.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm so sorry to hear she has gone to Spidey Heaven. Sadly there is often no obvious reason that we can see as to why and in most cases it is nothing we have done wrong so don't feel bad.

E

ExMember

First off sorry for your loss. It sucks. From what you are describing I would hazard a guess that the spiders molt went bad and it probably is a sucking stomach issue :(

Sounds like the husbandry was good so that would be my guess.

Sending my condolences.

Latest posts