• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Went by my LPS yesterday and picked up a 1.5" sling, probably closer to a juvenile.

The spider guy there said they have had these for a few months, no one buying them - too fast and they hide too much

They have them in 32 oz deli cups with vented lids and sure enough all the slings had made dirt curtains behind cork bark slabs in the containers and all were hiding.

He opened one of the containers to feed/see one of the slings in front of me and IT EXPLODED out of the container!
We both scrambled to re-acquire the spider and I contained it in a 16 oz deli cup against the inside top of the display case. With a sheet of paper I was able to get it back into the larger deli cup and through the trial of fire, the spider became mine and I became it's new guardian.

Here's a pic of the new acquisition

IMG_20200323_160831.jpg

I will pop a few more holes in the 32 oz cup, it seems kind of humid in there. I will also assemble it's next home, either a 4x4x8 amac container OR a 1 gallon square jug ala Tom Moran. Eventually, an Exo Terra Nano Tall. I will NOT mod the top screened lid lol

Based on what I have seen of this species, dirt curtains from the ground up attached to a vertical/leaning branch, it would seem other decor like fake plants and leaves may not be relevant. What are your experiences with that?

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You should add a P. cambridgei, P. langenbucheri, and just to stick with the Psalmopoeus theme, a P. pulcher and P. reduncus.

Very nice addition by the way.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats @octanejunkie . Seems like I'm the only one here not buying Ts right now.

The stay-at-home order kinda got me feeling stir crazy, even before it took effect, and I wanted some new projects to spruce up the "home office" so I splurged a bit lol I'm done for a minute

I've had to stop for a while too :(. I'm sure that by the time things start returning to some sort of normality I'll end up ordering 5-6 to treat myself ;)

If the economy does what most of us suspect it will there will be a fire sale on just about everything, I suspect. Wait for the bottom or dollar cost average buy as we go down!

E

ExMember

The stay-at-home order kinda got me feeling stir crazy, even before it took effect, and I wanted some new projects to spruce up the "home office" so I splurged a bit lol I'm done for a minute

If the economy does what most of us suspect it will there will be a fire sale on just about everything, I suspect. Wait for the bottom or dollar cost average buy as we go down!
That is scary how fast everything is tanking economy wise. My province's "leadership" has put all our eggs in one basket. Oil. Which is estimated to go down to $10 a barrel. Might bankrupt us :(

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice score!!!! I'd put it in a gallon enclosure for now with a cork bark slab.

Gallon jugs on order from Amazon, cork bark on hand, substrate on hand. Bottle cap water dish ready to hot glue into shoulder of jug. Soldering iron ready to make holes!

Awesome video, thanks for linking it!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Irma the P. irminia (hoping for a female here( has been feeling more comfortable. Found her completely out of her dirt burrow just now. WFH has been good for spider sightings!

IMG_20200327_100047.jpg

I melted a bunch more holes in her deli cup yesterday and fed her a medium B. lat yesterday evening. She attached the crap out of it and drug at back into her burrow.

E

ExMember

Irma the P. irminia (hoping for a female here( has been feeling more comfortable. Found her completely out of her dirt burrow just now. WFH has been good for spider sightings!

View attachment 44273
I melted a bunch more holes in her deli cup yesterday and fed her a medium B. lat yesterday evening. She attached the crap out of it and drug at back into her burrow.
Same here! I caught my Aphonopelma calchodes half out of it's burrow entrance for the first time ever! I got it in november lol!

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Last two feeding attempts have gone uneaten and I suspect Irma the irminia has molted inside her burrow - it's been a good 6 days since I have caught a glimpse of the T.

Also, I see what looks like it might be an exo pressed up against the side of the enclosure from behind the dirt curtain.

Time will tell.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Still haven't seen any movement from Irma...

I sprayed the enclosure yesterday.

Guess I'll wait more

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So, I have not seen Irma the irminia in 10 days... maybe more. should I be worried?
You mentioned in an earlier post that you think she may have moulted? I wouldnt be unduly worried as they often hide an awful lot as slings and I know you wouldn't want to disturb her - of course make sure she has water and offer food just keep an eye out and hopefully she puts in an appearance and it will put your mind at rest :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
"dusk warshed over the dude" and who is poking out the back door?

IMG_20200415_194547.jpg

Tapped the enclosure and she bolted backwards into her dirt den.

Doesn't appear to have molted at first glance, probably just self-isolating due to the COVID

Last edited:

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
"dusk warshed over the dude" and who is poking out the back door?

View attachment 44990

Tapped the enclosure and she bolted backwards into her dirt den.

Doesn't appear to have molted, just self-isolating probably due to the COVID
Yay! . Irma appears to be doing just fine :D
Hopefully once lock down is over she will put in more than a fleeting appearance :)

Latest posts