• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. Irminia & O. Aureotibialis

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
Ive got 0.1 P. Irminia sling and 0.1 O. Aureotibialis sling coming my way. They should be here in the morning, and I'm just wanting to hear some advice on care for these little guys, as well as some information on temperament and anything else that may be helpful. I have, and will continue to do extensive research just as I have with all my other T's. I value any and everyone's input and advice. I look forward to providing the best life I can for them. I look forward to reading some replies! :)

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
I would much rather take the word of someone who has personally owned and cared for one of these l, than trust whatever random care sheet I mat find through Google and the thousands of other false care articles. Haha I even saw a care video for a G. Rosea today online insisting the importance of misting the enclosure and keeping the substrate very damp and the humidity high. We all know that this is a common misconception given to new hobbyists by retail pets stores and for-profit breeding companies that would rather make a buck than spend time on proper care information. (Sorry for the rant).

Will

3 Year Member
Despite it being an arboreal T, I think the P Irminia will quite often make a ground level lair when young. I provided mine (now a 2" sling/juve) with two pieces of vertical cork bark next to each other which would have made a perfect hide for arboreal T's, but it has made a ground level horizontal tube web.

With regards to moisture, all I do with my P Irminia (2" sling/juve) is provide a water dish and 'make it rain' every week or two. A lot of 'care sheets' (I hate these) suggest it needs a very humid environment, but captive humid environments in stagnant air are rarely healthy for any creature. As long as it has access to water all the time, it will be fine.

Don't expect to see it very much though. They are very reclusive, but when you do see them (when hunting prey for example) they are very beautiful. Probably my favourite looking T.

No experience with Aureotibialis sorry.

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
For P irminia, I would say exactly the same as @Will: i raised mine from sling to adult without any issues. A good full waterdish (mine is not too small), a tube of cork bark, enough subtrate (they like to dig at the bottom or under the bark) - 2-3 inches for instance. I pour some water once a week / once every two weeks in a corner where I put some moss, and that's it! Mine likes to stay out in evening and morning, when lights are low. She's a beauty, really really fast, but always run in her hide when startled (no threat poses against me). Once, she refused to move when my wife openend the lid and stayed on her bark: enough to say that my wife decided to clean the enclosure later...! They also have the ability to jump on their prey or to flee, even long jumps. Be prepared!

For Ornithoctonus aureotibialis, mine (adult female) is a true terror when rehousing: threat poses, chelicerae wide opened, slapping legs... But otherwise, she stays in her hole: I only see the legs, but she never goes out to attack or defend. Her strategy is: "I don't move, maybe he will not see me..." However I'm sure that if I provoke her, she will bite. I provided her a tall tank (6 inches x 12 x 12 "haplotank") that I filled with peat (around 8 inches deep). I provided a water dish and that's it. She dug a deep burrow on one side and stays there all the time (except at night!). I barely see her, to be honest. Her maintenance is like Haplopelma. The substrate is kept a little moist: once a week, I pour some water on a side; as I have ventilation holes on a side at the bottom, it helps the tank to stay rather clean.

Both are stunning creatures, really beautiful. But the O aureotibialis is very rarely seen. The only picture I was able to take was during rehousing (see my pictures page if you want).

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would much rather take the word of someone who has personally owned and cared for one of these l, than trust whatever random care sheet I mat find through Google and the thousands of other false care articles. Haha I even saw a care video for a G. Rosea today online insisting the importance of misting the enclosure and keeping the substrate very damp and the humidity high. We all know that this is a common misconception given to new hobbyists by retail pets stores and for-profit breeding companies that would rather make a buck than spend time on proper care information. (Sorry for the rant).
Wise choice ☺
@Will and @Nicolas C have both given good advice. The only other advice I would give you is to keep asking for real life experience rather than slavishly following so called "care sheets" that seemed obsessed to replicate the average temps and humid form the country of origin. I always remind people that unless wild caught, you are probably getting a sling that may be countless of generations of already captive bred individuals so they do not need the temps/humidity described as they have never set any of their 8 feet in that country! All of mine regardless of where they come from are kept at about 75 to 78 degrees during the day (I prefer to turn heat off at night), get a light mist once a week and have an open water dish (I always boil water and cool down for both misting and drinking as tap water is horrible). All are on coir (coconut fibre) for substrate. Seems to work for me but I am in the UK and don't suffer some of the temp and humidity issues that some people in other countries have to experience. Hope this helps. ☺

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
Same as everyone else said for P.Irminia. I have no expereience with the other.

Also if it is a unsexed spider, you would list it as 0.0.1 P Irminia. 0.1 P.Irminia would mean a female :)

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Same as everyone else said for P.Irminia. I have no expereience with the other.

Also if it is a unsexed spider, you would list it as 0.0.1 P Irminia. 0.1 P.Irminia would mean a female :)
So how do those classifications work. Would really useful as I see them often but never really looked into properly. What you contact use F or M is beyond me......lol

Dratznkg

3 Year Member
Thank you all for the info, it has been very helpful. They are both settled in nicely. I was able to do both transfers without incident (the p. Irminia is lightning fast, faster than my p. Cambridgi). They are beautiful even as tiny slings, and I look forward to watching and logging their growth.

@leaveittoweaver- thank you for clearing that up for me I've been curious as to the proper way to classify male, female, or unknown sees in my collection and this has helped:)

Latest posts