• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. cancerides enclosure suggestions

Seven

Hi everyone! Recently purchased a P. cancerides male (approx 3.5 to 4 inch DLS, maybe slightly bigger, hard to tell at the moment). The enclosure he came in seems woefully undersized for him(found an old much smaller molt buried in the corner so I suspect he was put on at around 2” and never rehoused again), it’s a medium KK ~12”Lx7”Dx8”H with very dry substrate. got a water dish and a coco hit hide that he likes to sit on top of.

Given the defensive nature of these species (got a threat pose giving him a superworm last night) I want to rehouse him into something more suitable for his size and future size (likely not a final enclosure given that he’ll likely double in size by the time he’s an adult).

Any one have good examples of suitable enclosures for a cancerides? Would like to give him 4 or 5” of substrate and have 6 or so above to make general husbandry a bit easier (right now his hut is close to the top door on the KK and he likes to lunge at it when it opens). The enclosure Dave uses in his rehousing video is a nice cube size but I am in Canada and not sure I can acquire one. I’m also tossing up a glass aquarium line enclosure that comes with a sliding screen lid and replacing the screening with acrylic but not sure of only top ventilation will be suitable (I have read that since they are sub-tropical they enjoy raised humidity and many keepers will moisten substrate on one side of the enclosure, worried that only top vent might make it too stuffy).

Photo is one I took the other day when we brought him home, only one I have at the moment but will take more when I get home tonight.

Attachments

• 10142F30-3F2F-49F8-8471-3500248A5062.jpeg
    10142F30-3F2F-49F8-8471-3500248A5062.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 6

Latest posts