• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. burgessi sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Part of my order from PNW was a 3/4-1" P. burgessi sling as I build my non-avic arboreal collection.

Setup is a 24oz deli cup with cork bark, leaves and moss on top of about an inch of (coco fiber, peat moss, shredded sphagnum and play sand) in a non-avic orientation with ventilation holes all around and top.

This fellow calmly walked out of it's shipping vial into it's new enclosure and hung out on the cork bark for a while before heading down into the moss.

I'll feed it tomorrow but here's a pic or two. The second pic shows the sling's legs sticking out of the moss.

IMG_20200410_155411.jpg
IMG_20200410_155400.jpg

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed P. burgessi a 4mm B. lat roach nymph last night.

The sling was roaming all over the container, mostly around the top rim last night and didn't react to my opening the lid in one area to drop the roach in.

I did not see the T get the roach and am not sure if it fed or not - plenty of places for a little nymph to hide in there...

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Fed P. burgessi a 4mm B. lat roach nymph last night.

The sling was roaming all over the container, mostly around the top rim last night and didn't react to my opening the lid in one area to drop the roach in.

I did not see the T get the roach and am not sure if it fed or not - plenty of places for a little nymph to hide in there...
Nice T to pick up... I've not come across the burgessi here in the UK :( would jump at the chance if one came up though - big fans of the genus -
I look forward to seeing your updates as it grows :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Nice T to pick up... I've not come across the burgessi here in the UK :( would jump at the chance if one came up though - big fans of the genus -
I look forward to seeing your updates as it grows :)

Thanks, you will see updates!

I have decided to be a bit "scientific" in my decisions to keep certain genera and this represents the second species in the Psuedoclamoris genus. I look forward to seeing how burgessi and gigas both evolve in my care.

Similarly I am doing the same with the Psalmopoeus genus, keeping both pulcher and irminia; although the irminia specimen I acquired was much larger than the pulcher I just picked up.

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks, you will see updates!

I have decided to be a bit "scientific" in my decisions to keep certain genera and this represents the second species in the Psuedoclamoris genus. I look forward to seeing how burgessi and gigas both evolve in my care.

Similarly I am doing the same with the Psalmopoeus genus, keeping both pulcher and irminia; although the irminia specimen I acquired was much larger than the pulcher I just picked up.
It's great to keep several species within geniuses - only thing is once you have some of the genus you want them all!
It's nice to see the difference in behaviour between them to-especially if you have more than one sling of the same genus they can behave totally differently :)
Out of the Psalmopoeus Iriminia is my absolute favourite - with the pulcher a close second...you'll love watching them grow as slings they are adorable :D

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This sling is a master of disguise. It is either buried in the moss or has made itself invisible and disappeared completely.

I can't find it for the life of me but I'm 100% it's in there. Let's see if it comes out under cover of night.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
As promised I circled back to feed after work and offered a 5mm B. lat nymph.

Before I could get my camera the roach walked right into the T's burrow and BAM, it was done. The T was all over that roach, which was probably a smidge large, but that did not stop Burgess, the P. burgessi

IMG_20200414_160826.jpg

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This fellow has been out of its hide a lot lately, webbing more but hardly as much as P. pulcher

I look the hint and sent it a medium cricket last night. This morning, cricket gone and sling is hidden.

Guess it wanted to dine in.

Latest posts