• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

P. americana

TheInv4sion

Since most of us who keep Ts love using lateralis as our go-to feeder I decided to do a colony of P. americana in a gasket sealed (airtight) enclosure.
Tried feeding some males to my pokies and they are larger and way fatter than lateralis. I doubt many people will want to breed these but I love them.
Just thought I'd throw that out there on the off chance that anyone would benefit.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Periplaneta americana is the fastest invert on earth (catalogued so far) and can run 5 feet in 1 second, or 3.4 mph. Not the escapee anyone wants, not even in Maine.

TheInv4sion

Periplaneta americana is the fastest invert on earth (catalogued so far) and can run 5 feet in 1 second, or 3.4 mph. Not the escapee anyone wants, not even in Maine.
From keeping them they move in bursts and if you purchased the white eye morphs they are blind and relatively easy to deal with. They also don’t move that fast if they aren’t scared and have a tendency to run into the enclosure rather than away in my experience. I live in Northern CA so if they escape there is no risk for me but in more humid locations I could see the problem I suppose.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
1640007346281.png

:p

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Oursapoil Periplaneta americana is one of the the fastest legged invert on earth (catalogued so far) and can run 5 feet in 1 second, or 3.4 mph.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The American ****roach can run 5 feet in one second., which equals a speed of 3.4 mph. Yep, those nasty ****roaches that hide under the cupboard in your kitchen are one of the fastest insects on the planet.

TheInv4sion

The American ****roach can run 5 feet in one second., which equals a speed of 3.4 mph. Yep, those nasty ****roaches that hide under the cupboard in your kitchen are one of the fastest insects on the planet.
I mean to be fair none of mine have run 5 feet in one second so that may not be the norm just the max? That or I got lucky idk

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's what I said, sir lol

Latest posts