• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Overwhelmed by all the names!!!

ALD

3 Year Member
Being new to this I am reading all day about the different species ~ and I have to ask- How do you all remember the correct scientific names of all these guys? How do you know how to correctly pronounce them and have them stick to memory? Maybe it is a silly question but I really would like to learn. Some Youtubers rattle off all the names like nothing and I would like to be part of the club :) How long did it take you?

freerangeTs

3 Year Member
Just Google: "insert name here" pronunciation
Usually the first result is a voice recording.
And then be annoying like me and bring it up as much as you can in verbal conversation so it sticks.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Once you can remember different genuses it makes easier to actually memorize each individual species. I've been in the hobby for years as well and there's still a lot that are new to me. I see the same names everyday and still second guess the spelling sometimes:D but as for actually pronouncing them, it's a totally different language, some are easier to pronounce then others.

Last edited:

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I simply started familiarizing myself with the scientific names of the most common species in the hobby.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It takes a little time, but eventually you'll pick all the names up. Then some asshat will change the name to hamori, and piss you off, BECAUSE FOR YEARS IT WAS SMITHI, AND IM GONNA KEEP CALLING IT SMITHI! Welcome to the hobby! :D

ALD

3 Year Member
It takes a little time, but eventually you'll pick all the names up. Then some asshat will change the name to hamori, and piss you off, BECAUSE FOR YEARS IT WAS SMITHI, AND IM GONNA KEEP CALLING IT SMITHI! Welcome to the hobby! :D
Hahahahaha I keep seeing this. This happened recently I guess?

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Somewhat recently. It happens, and props to the spider geniuses who are doing the work. But that one pisses me off for some reason..hobby icon ffs..
I agree, you just can't change some of them and that's the main one. I hate when people try to correct me for calling them smithi still but I refuse to call it anything else.

Latest posts