• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Overly concerned newbie?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I read a lot about folks like me that are new to the T culture that get overly concerned when stuff happens that they don't understand. Count me in. I have two A. avics that finally almost a month ago decided to web up and now they're both just sitting inside their webs doing nothing (the webs are near the top of their enclosures if that matters). Most every morning they seem to be in a little different position but still all webbed up. They're not eating or drinking (that I can see) unless they somehow sneak out in the middle of the night for a sip or two. Could they be in premolt and I not worry about it and just leave 'em alone? I also have an LP that that's doing the same thing, and at about the same time as the Avics. She just sits in her hide with the entrance pretty much webbed up with coco curtains.

If these spiders are in premolt will they come down from their webs or leave the hide to molt? I've haven't dealt with a molting T yet so I'm looking for advice from those that know more than me (which would be anyone reading this). Any suggestions/opinions? Thanx.

Signed,
Overly Concerned Newbie?
:T:

Last edited:

Mr. P

3 Year Member
No need to worry, I have three of them and they do the same thing. They will molt in the web so it is possible that they are getting ready. Sit back, watch and enjoy.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I agree with @Mr. P. Arboreal Ts will moult up in their web but the LP will flip over on its back on the ground to moult either inside or out of its hide..

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Thanx for the replies. I kinda knew about the LP doing a backflip to molt, just wasn't sure if she would come out of hiding to do it. All this is a learning experience for me. And a very interesting one at that. BTW, I was gonna ask a question about handloading for the .357 but I guess that's a different forum.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thanx for the replies. I kinda knew about the LP doing a backflip to molt, just wasn't sure if she would come out of hiding to do it. All this is a learning experience for me. And a very interesting one at that. BTW, I was gonna ask a question about handloading for the .357 but I guess that's a different forum.

That's a question you need to ask @MassExodus :)

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Donn't you think a .357 is a little overkill for a Tarantula? :T:

(Spoiler alert!) Haven't you ever seen that 1955 movie? At the end they needed napalm to take it out! Almost brought a tear to my eye.

Last edited:

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
"Tarantula" but that thing was 50' tall. :T:
upload_2018-8-15_18-55-51.jpeg

The movie poster says 100', but it did look more like 50. No matter. Either way, a cult classic. Speaking of movie posters, when I got my first T a few months back, my cousin bought me the movie poster, the DVD, the movie poster fridge magnet and a t-shirt with the movie poster on it. Now THAT was overkill!

Last edited:

Nunua

3 Year Member
If it makes you to feel even a bit less concerned, this is the life of my C. versicolor sling. It keeps chilling in the tube, slowly making it a tad bigger and more complex with some branching tubes :)

1151508b99.png

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
If it makes you to feel even a bit less concerned, this is the life of my C. versicolor sling. It keeps chilling in the tube, slowly making it a tad bigger and more complex with some branching tubes :)

1151508b99.png

1151508b99.png
Yeah, my Avics are still just hanging out in their webs. I thought it was kinda odd that those two gals started their webs at the same time (no more than a day or two apart). Coincidence? Or maybe one decided to lay a Vulcan mind meld on the other. :) My Avics webs are vertical, while yours is more horizontal. Maybe it's just the way the enclosures are set up. Either way it'll be interesting to see how they molt in the web. BTW, do you have a name for yours?

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I agree with @Mr. P. Arboreal Ts will moult up in their web but the LP will flip over on its back on the ground to moult either inside or out of its hide..
Since you mentioned LP, this morning I noticed mine was partway out of her hide that she has been holed up in the past few weeks. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like what may be a molt waaaaay in the back. Two questions: 1) If that is a molt in there should I just leave it alone or try to remove it? I really don't wanna mess with her hide if I can help it, and, 2) How long should I wait b4 attempting to feed her?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Since you mentioned LP, this morning I noticed mine was partway out of her hide that she has been holed up in the past few weeks. I couldn't tell for sure, but it looks like what may be a molt waaaaay in the back. Two questions: 1) If that is a molt in there should I just leave it alone or try to remove it? I really don't wanna mess with her hide if I can help it, and, 2) How long should I wait b4 attempting to feed her?

You'll know if she's moulted by her sze, they grow so much at each moult. I've no doubt she'll push the moult out when she's ready but it doesn't matter if it's left in there.
Give her around a week to harden before you feed her.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
You'll know if she's moulted by her sze, they grow so much at each moult. I've no doubt she'll push the moult out when she's ready but it doesn't matter if it's left in there.
Give her around a week to harden before you feed her.

Gotcha. She does look a little larger, but I'm not doing any measuring. I guess I could remove it during routine maintenance. Pretty soon I'm gonna need to get her a larger hideout.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Yeah, I call the sling "Sreaky". Named it after my friend's online nickname after I heard that she has a terminal cancer.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Cancer took out my dad at 86. My LP is Emily and my two A. avics are Elvira and Esmeralda. I only have three for now.