• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Our Arizona Blonde A. chalcodes sling

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Picked this tiny fellow at our LPS about 3 weeks ago but hadn't had the chance to post about it till today.

Although I've put 2 B. lat pinheads in the enclosure over time I've not seen it eat, and almost immediately after getting it it burrowed and buried itself in the enclosure. I've not seen any of the pinheads since either.

Today I caught it outside it's burrow but as soon as I tried to get a pic it slowly and surely retreated into the burrow. It's one of the smallest slings we've had to date.
IMG_20200315_153609.jpg
IMG_20200315_153730.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They all tend to burrow at that size. Even my AF A. chalcodes 'New River' will dig every now and then.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My adult chalcodes moved loads of soil to get their enclosure how they wanted it. But my johnnycashi sling is normally out & about.

If your chalcodes grow at the same rate as my johnnycashi, then do not expect it to grow over the next year.

Also expect a charachter, my chalcodes is always ready to come out & say hello & touch any of the plants & it will hit them, with a fair amount of force. I once inadvertently touched my chalcodes as I was doing something. It turned & hit a plant. Just to make a point. But it loves company & attention.

New2T’s

3 Year Member
Don’t expect to see it out much. It will stay burrowed as a sling. They aren’t good eaters either. Mine hardly eats. Super slow growers. Mine has only molted twice in a year and a half.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Don’t expect to see it out much. It will stay burrowed as a sling. They aren’t good eaters either. Mine hardly eats. Super slow growers. Mine has only molted twice in a year and a half.

Thank you for sharing that.
Though ours has not molted in our care, as far aa we know, your experience is consistent with mine, and everything I've read about this species.
Playing the long game with this tiny fellow.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Fed a 2-3mm B lat nymph yesterday afternoon, largest meal yet. Did not cripple the roach, wanted to let the LP hunt it. The roach found a hide right away. Woke up this morning to find the T munching the roach.

Screenshot_20200520-065620~2.png

IMG_20200520_052009.jpg same pic for perspective, she sling is in the corner of a 2" amac container

Since emerging from it's burrow, it has been filling the water dish almost nightly with it's bulldozing remodeling of it's enclosure. Getting fatter, too.

Last edited:

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I found the Al the chALcodes lounging on a substrate-filled water dish the other day. It obviously does not like it's water neat.

Here he is with his girlfriend cricket. They hang out in the basement a lot, obviously to make out.
IMG_20200703_081350.jpg