• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Other Kinds of Feeders

hellknite

3 Year Member
I was wondering, or moreover wanted to ask what do you feed your Ts?
Aside from the normal:
Roaches (dubia, lateralis, rhombifolia)
Superworms
Crickets

Like in my case I ocassionaly feed them with
Grasshoppers
June bugs
Black soldier flies

What other possible feeders?

tcrave

3 Year Member
while back i was givin a avicularia versicolor the prior owner fed her small Anoles, and long tail lizards. im not really sure how safe but in the wild the avic sp eat them.

god61021

3 Year Member
my research says that most vertebrates (mice, lizards) are to heavy in calcium for a tarantula and therefore not good to feed regularly.

Tongue Flicker

3 Year Member
Blue bottle fly larvae (cultured, of course)
Fruit beetle grubs
Coconut beetle grubs (this are freaking huge so make sure your T can tackle it safely)

In my case, i feed cultured frogs that grow 2" long from snout to vent. Once you get a nice frog colony you'll start cursing every amphibian you'll see. Frogs are naturally found where a great majority of non-desert tarantulas live and has softer bones for digestion and does not have as high calcium as a mammalian or reptilian bone possesses

creaturekeeper 91

3 Year Member
Coconut beetle grubs huh? That sounds pretty cool I'm gonna have to get my hands on some. I really want to try horned worms and silk worms and see if the like them..

Grammostola in my heart

3 Year Member
ive fed mine hornworms before, and they loved it. hornworms can however eat VERY toxic plants, so dont feed your t's worms from the garden. we dont use pesticides or chemicals, nor do any of our neighbors, so i get alot of my t food outside

Grammostola in my heart

3 Year Member
but not hornworms. only buy cultured hornworms. i also have alot of papaya trees, so for smaller t's ill give them larva from wasps that lay their eggs in the papayas

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Here is the cuisine list for my collection:

Hornworms (agreed on the warnings listed above)
Silkworms
Butterworms
Waxworms
Reptiworms
Superworms
Mealworms
Dubias

and crickets of course. Dirty, smelly, disgusting crickets. But what are you going to do?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I use mainly latteralis & dubia roaches. Occasionally super worms or hissing ****roaches. I hate dealing with crickets. Wanna get try hornworms and silkworms just haven't yet.

hellknite

3 Year Member
Coconut beetle grubs are abundant here that some natives in the outskirts eat it.. I've tried it once together with locusts...

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Hellnite, Where are you from? We don't have coconut beetles native here. Not even locusts.

Latest posts