• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I trust you are talking about reverse osmosis right? Osmosis water would be sweat I think.
I can't imagine it would arm them, I personally use tap water that I run through a Brita filter (it helps if your local tap water has a lot of minerals or chlorine added). Replacing the water often and keeping the water bowl clean is a lot more important to me than the water itself.
Hoping this helps, have a great day.

I trust you are talking about reverse osmosis right? Osmosis water would be sweat I think.
I can't imagine it would arm them, I personally use tap water that I run through a Brita filter (it helps if your local tap water has a lot of minerals or chlorine added). Replacing the water often and keeping the water bowl clean is a lot more important to me than the water itself.
Hoping this helps, have a great day.
Thanks for the clarification - in german it's called "osmose wasser" and I probably just translated it wrongly :p

And out of curiosity:
Do you know why exactly it is that important to clean the water dish regularly? I mean in the wild they probably don't get the cleanest water everyday, or do they?

thanks for the help:)

ArachnoHorn

3 Year Member
Thanks for the clarification - in german it's called "osmose wasser" and I probably just translated it wrongly :p

And out of curiosity:
Do you know why exactly it is that important to clean the water dish regularly? I mean in the wild they probably don't get the cleanest water everyday, or do they?

thanks for the help:)
Just try the filter the water as much as you can. That way, the Ts get the best water

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Stagnant water will be a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. Needless to say your T will also wait for some fresh water to drop a food ball in it (on lucky days) or just take a dump in it (on bad days). Many Ts as well will bulldozer their enclosure substrate and flip your water dish, drop some dirt in it or will just make it completely disappear (some Ts are amazing magicians too). I understand we are here today because way back some ancestors lived in caves and survived it but would you prefer to drink clean fresh water or swamp water? I know it feels like we are spoiling them (designer enclosures, finest dirt to put in them, perfect temperature and humidity, red lights not to bother them.....) but at the same time they are our babies and considering the time and investment made (depending on your Ts and how many you have) it is not worth the risk. A good husbandry schedule and good habits will make for happy Ts.
Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Stagnant water will be a breeding ground for germs and bacteria. Needless to say your T will also wait for some fresh water to drop a food ball in it (on lucky days) or just take a dump in it (on bad days). Many Ts as well will bulldozer their enclosure substrate and flip your water dish, drop some dirt in it or will just make it completely disappear (some Ts are amazing magicians too). I understand we are here today because way back some ancestors lived in caves and survived it but would you prefer to drink clean fresh water or swamp water? I know it feels like we are spoiling them (designer enclosures, finest dirt to put in them, perfect temperature and humidity, red lights not to bother them.....) but at the same time they are our babies and considering the time and investment made (depending on your Ts and how many you have) it is not worth the risk. A good husbandry schedule and good habits will make for happy Ts.
Cheers.
The old water dish on the golf tee trick
16170505031781208836626596249568.jpg

It keeps arboreals from filling the water dish with their excavate

Haven't tried it for terrestrials , like this one, yet
16170505923611553871336205074531.jpg

She just relocates the entire dish, along with her mini ping pong ball, and makes backfill out of them.

The old water dish on the golf tee trick
View attachment 55261
It keeps arboreals from filling the water dish with their excavate

Haven't tried it for terrestrials , like this one, yet
View attachment 55262
She just relocates the entire dish, along with her mini ping pong ball, and makes backfill out of them.
Nice, haha. The golf tee trick is pretty clever and funny! ;)

Cheers.
Well, I totally overlooked the new messages - sorry bout that. :`)

And yes sure, everything you're saying makes sense. I think I may have a better undersanding about it now. :)

It's just all a little weird sometimes. I just recently read a post about a cleaning routine for you T's and it said, that I should take them outside their enclosures like every few months and clean them from top to bottom.
I even found a video of a dude, who was cleaning a P. Cambridgei's enclosure - he just damaged the whole web, with the T still in it, until he finally got her out. And then he just removed all of her cute butt-house and cleaned everything…

I mean yeah sure - the less dirt, the better i guess
but it would feel soo wrong to just damage all of little henris work

Do you also make such extreme moves or are you rather talking about scratching the dumps of the pane?
Cheers to you too!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Well, I totally overlooked the new messages - sorry bout that. :`)

And yes sure, everything you're saying makes sense. I think I may have a better undersanding about it now. :)

It's just all a little weird sometimes. I just recently read a post about a cleaning routine for you T's and it said, that I should take them outside their enclosures like every few months and clean them from top to bottom.
I even found a video of a dude, who was cleaning a P. Cambridgei's enclosure - he just damaged the whole web, with the T still in it, until he finally got her out. And then he just removed all of her cute butt-house and cleaned everything…

I mean yeah sure - the less dirt, the better i guess
but it would feel soo wrong to just damage all of little henris work

Do you also make such extreme moves or are you rather talking about scratching the dumps of the pane?
Cheers to you too!
Ts will usually prefer a clean enclosure although some of mine might have been crossbred with feral hogs :) but cleaning the enclosure too often is not good and will stress your T. My personal rule of thumb is to make sure the water is clean and that uneaten preys and food balls are removed as soon as possible. For the rest I usually fully clean an enclosure when I rehouse a T. This said, if you start to see some mold in the enclosure a cleaning is needed right away.
I hope this helps :)
Cheers and have a great day my friend.

Ts will usually prefer a clean enclosure although some of mine might have been crossbred with feral hogs :) but cleaning the enclosure too often is not good and will stress your T. My personal rule of thumb is to make sure the water is clean and that uneaten preys and food balls are removed as soon as possible. For the rest I usually fully clean an enclosure when I rehouse a T. This said, if you start to see some mold in the enclosure a cleaning is needed right away.
I hope this helps :)
Cheers and have a great day my friend.
I put both of my tarantulas in their adult-size enclosures when they were juvenile (about 6-7cm) so since I probably wont rehouse the cleaning-when-rehousing thing wont really work with me. But I get the general idea - I probably will start deep cleaning them like once a year or so (removing food balls is something I already do:)
And concerning the mold - I will put springtails in my P. Cambridgei's enclosure to prevent it and with my c. cyaneopubescens I haven't had this issue.

I wish you a nice day too my friend - thanks for your advice

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I put both of my tarantulas in their adult-size enclosures when they were juvenile (about 6-7cm) so since I probably wont rehouse the cleaning-when-rehousing thing wont really work with me. But I get the general idea - I probably will start deep cleaning them like once a year or so (removing food balls is something I already do:)
And concerning the mold - I will put springtails in my P. Cambridgei's enclosure to prevent it and with my c. cyaneopubescens I haven't had this issue.

I wish you a nice day too my friend - thanks for your advice
Anytime!

MBullock

3 Year Member
i refuse to expose any of my animals to tap water. i feel gross enough just showering in that poison. all that lead and fluoride and pollutants from 50-year-old+ pipes..

Cnidarianfarmer

Reverse osmosis/RO water is fine and a good choice as it comes in around 3-4 ppm TDS if the membrane is healthy.
Added benefit is that it will leave significantly less noticeable water spots on the side of enclosures when evaporated compared to spring water that can be very high in minerals.

Important to make sure you are getting Reverse Osmosis water only and not RODI - Deionized water that comes in at 0 TDS and is essentially lab grade water, which isn't recommended for consumption as in large quantities is bad for teeth, can cause electrolyte imbalances and gastric upset.
As RODI is aggressively trying to reestablish itself.

Im actually the manager of a large ornamental coral aquaculture facility (pic of one of our broodstock tanks below) and you can imagine water quality/ purity is important in my industry, we have 1000gpd RODI unit that we bypass the DI resin bed/ stage for our drinking water so its essentially just RO.

20210524_195040.jpg

Latest posts