• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions on the Invert Community(cons and pros)

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
Feel free to add your opinions but basically instead of typing an essay that no one is gonna read, I'm just gonna use bullet points for my opinions, Note that this is from my experience and obviously individual experience may be different, I made this based on inverts as a whole because I've had inverts(true spiders,beetles,wasps,etc for years but dealt with tarantulas for a couple of months so I can't form an opinion on the T community properly atm.
Idek if this is in the right forum topic

Cons
  • Superfans - It's good to support your favorite vendor/breeder but if someone had a bad experience then it's better to encourage them to try the vendor again, don't question them as if they did something wrong, especially if they never said it was the vendor's fault.
  • bragging - self explanatory, It's a different story if you're showing off what species you have but if you're actively telling the life stories of everything in your collection after someone asked if you have an emperor scorpion, you're bragging, Idc about your P.Formosa giving two fertile sacs three years ago.
  • oH mY gOd, Y? - people who have heart attacks over a person who put a hat on their animal, there's more important things to be concerned about, a person taking one picture of their invert with something on it is not gonna start the apocalypse.
  • Inverts are pets - Invertebrates are pets, you feed them and you protect them and you worry when they are under the weather, stop telling people to get a hamster. you don't handle fish and they're meant to be looked at, why are fish considered pets but inverts not? please.
  • Newbies with advance sp - I'm a believer that if you did all the research,know what to expect and you confirmed your knowledge with someone who had a specific species, then you can have an old world or the more advance species.
  • shady business - It actually makes me uncomfortable seeing people say to just mislabel the package of a banned species in order to get it like you're a part of the problem. IMHO If it's banned it's banned.
  • Reals over feels - a majority Inverts don't have emotions, they don't care about the new car you're getting they want a mealworm....but let me call nurmi an instagram baddie that likes obt males.
  • Enclosure freaks - most inverts can't see and hide 24/7, if someone has a plain enclosure it'd be nice if you don't interrogate them about why is there no plants or why there's no waterfalls with doves singing, they can't see and they're hidden away all the time, even with climbing and anchoring species.
  • Centipede - No one has Thereuopoda clunifera and that makes me wanna cry, I need my long-legged slim boi.
Pros
  • Welcoming - Unlike most communities I've had the displeasure of accidentally wondering into, the Invert community is very welcoming to newcomers and willing to help others, it takes a lot of trust to have a random stranger take care of your collection.
  • breeding - lets be honest some species would have gone extinct if it wasn't for the hobby.
  • impact - If it was for the community and the love for tarantulas,roaches,centipedes and true spiders then these animals probably wouldn't have the protection/care they needed, people would still see them as omens of evil and disease.
  • creativity - owners have shown off their creative juices and made amazing enclosures,artwork,etc
  • crazy people - y'all over here eating dubia roaches, like ????? that's gross but a regular person probably couldn't do that.
  • Hard working - some people spend hours just on their collection and I'm over here struggling to give the roaches a slice of bread, especially with breeding like breeders sit there and watch them like a hawk for hours, mean while when I breed my steatoda I leave as soon as the male gets close to the female.
  • care - some of you care for your collection so much you get them insured while some people don't even get their dogs micro-chipped.
  • calm - When one of your more dangerous species escapes people are calm as if a fly escaped like I would be crying and I would call the cops.
  • Educational - I wouldn't know what a Poecilotheria or OBT is, Also wouldn't know the importance of scientific names, I usually have things from my area so scientific names weren't important but I realized that house spider can be the name for different species.
  • Ease of access - Getting a bee colony of 800 is easier than getting a single gerbil.
  • Ferocity - Some animal communities will complain about having an animal banned but not say anything to fix it or compromise but I've seen invert owners straight up say that pokies shouldn't be banned because their own country is killing them and their environment and that if they don't keep pokies then the Ts are gonna go extinct, like if that's not another way of saying "imma back hand you, try me" then I don't know what is(though I still think that doesn't excuse smuggling, especially when a lot of people already have them)
  • close- invert keeping is a good example of being tightly knitted and protective all while not gate keeping. cough equestrian community cough
I tried my best not to vent/rant on the cons, but like with all communities you have the good and the bad. Again this is just from my experience, I'm sure someone always had a positive experience or always bad experience, does not mean it's the same for everyone, Now It's 4am and I have to binge watch world of warcraft videos.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One thing I like is the mixing of people of different ages, 50 year olds learning from 12 year olds and visa versa, generations learning to respect each others opinions and knowledge and sharing their passions and interests.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One thing I like is the mixing of people of different ages, 50 year olds learning from 12 year olds and visa versa, generations learning to respect each others opinions and knowledge and sharing their passions and interests.

And so many nationalities joining in one hobby. TF is truly worldwide.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm so glad you mentioned fish. When someone asks why I have Tarantulas if you can't do anything with them I mention fish and how they're observational pets.

I just love how interesting they are. I love my dogs and cats but without being nasty. They aren't exactly interesting.

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
'I just love how interesting they are. I love my dogs and cats but without being nasty. They aren't exactly interesting.'

LOL!! mine too!
my dog never plays with me unless I tell her the cops are coming when she pees, she also doesn't play with toys but will go nuts over empty water bottles

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
my dog never plays with me unless I tell her the cops are coming when she pees, she also doesn't play with toys but will go nuts over empty water bottles

My border collie gets a little bit of attention then doesn't leave you alone.then the German Shepard goes nuts everytime you get in. Even if you've only been to the shop for 10 mins

timc

3 Year Member
Pro: No one ever wants to come over my house so my girlfriend and I never have to freak out clean for company. It’s nice.