• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Opinions from owners of Habispheres

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi all, I’m keen to set up my terrestrial tarantulas in enclosures that will obviously be suitable for them but that I can enjoy looking at too, I want to make some nice groundwork and maybe plant them up too.
I have exoterras but there are reasons why I don’t want to use them so I’ve been researching the exoterras habisphere, they seem good for what I want, my main concern is I’m just wondering about ability of maintaining the houses? How practical is the design and top lid for that, maintenance is going to be low anyway, it’s not like I need to access the enclosure much, is the size of 12x12x18” a good size for large juvs to adult?
I want four so I am quite excited about the look of a bank of them, I think they would look good, but only if suitable for the Ts.
so just wondering if anyone uses these and what your opinion is of them, how they are to actually work with.
Many thanks !
0FF90629-87F2-4CF9-A65E-79C90EBC5A2C.jpeg

Mr. P

3 Year Member
The biggest issue would be the species of T's you are keeping and their requirements. If your species needs a high humidity environment then the habisphere may not be a good choice due to the lack of air flow. High humidity and lack of air flow would definitely create a mold problem as it would create a high temp with stagnant air.
There doesn't seem to be any venting on the bottom or sides so there is no cross ventilation and you haven't mentioned the species you want to keep in them.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi there, thanks for the reply, I’m lucky as i have harmorii, emilia, albopilosum but then the acanthoscurria so that’s the only one with more humidity but none should be too bad, I believe people keep dart frogs successfully, the back is Perspex I believe, I could add ventilation lower down if necessary, heating is a question for me too as I will need to fix a heat mat on the side.
Many thanks for your help.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
The species you mentioned should do well with lower humidities as they like it pretty dry anyway. Also, about the heat pad. The species you listed will do fine at room temp (70-80) unless you live in a cold climate and keep your house cold.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
That’s good to hear about the humidity issues, I’m in the u.k and this house sadly getting quite cold in the winter, so extra heat will be needed, the reptiles are all kept cosy and warm, I’m the one that is kept cold! LOL,
last question would that be big enough, I’m concerned it’s on the small side, the harmorii is in an 18” sq exoterras and she uses the space well. They wouldn’t be suitable for adults of these species would they?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow! Expensive here, $235.00 AUD! Or I can get one on eBay for $134 plus $141 shipping, hmmn how many should I buy?
They do look good though.

As you say, extra ventilation could be added to the rear panel but then that's probably where you'd want a heat mat so that it's out of sight. Also it says the main access is the removable back which doesn't sound very practical except for setting up/pulling down. No matter what species you keep I think you will need to add ventilation or mould will be a problem sooner or later.

Access through the top must be limited if there is a light built in too, unless it's the light that lifts out for access in which case it might be a too big of an opening. If you can reach the entire enclosure with tongs it might be workable. There's also the fact that neither opening panels are clear, if you can't spot the spider before opening there's the chance of escape if it happens to be on or next to an opening.

All that said, I'm only looking at online adverts and haven't seen one in the flesh. Ventilation and access are two potential problems I can see but I'm sure if a row of these is what you want any problems can be overcome.
A row of these would be an impressive sight that's for sure!

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi Dave, thanks for your reply, the back lifts up which is certainly useful but only safe without the T and for initial setting up but the hinged lid lifts up and the light is built in so not in the way, I’m thinking the lid would be adequate for dropping in water or food, I’m not sure about accessing a water bowl even using tongs it would still be a fiddle, especially if at the front as decor would be at the back, I think I’d add a heat mat of the side as the fixed portion of the back is only a few inches high,

Thinking about it, if you needed to catch one up you’d need to open back, more risk of escape, going only through top would be difficult to corner one, opening the back panel is right next to back decor so good escape routes,
Even though catching or maintaining is seldom I still want safety and ease.

Blimey that’s expensive though, I’m only interested because here the cheapest I can find is £60 which is amazing! So at that price maybe, at your price- phew, couldn’t. But yes, I just think a row would look so good!
They look good but I’m concerned about true functionality of them. Hmm, I’ll keep thinking.
Thanks for the reply and perspective.

sschind

3 Year Member
they look great but the two reason I never got them was because price and access. I have fat forearms and accessing the front of the tank was nearly impossible for me. If you don't leave enough clearance on top (if you are putting them on shelves for example) any access is a nightmare. If they are on an open table top or if you have plenty of clearance on top access might not be too bad for you.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Hi sschind thanks for that also, i had an aquarium with a narrow opening and that was a nightmare too, I hated any maintenance with it, I too have pictured them on the shelf and thought it’s o.k to drop a feeder in with the clearance I have but any more would need pulling out onto another surface, then there’s the wiring etc etc, so I think they would look stunning and I can picture them with the moonlight led, in practical and safety terms I think they are a no go and I will rethink the front opening exoterras, which I have, I just wanted something like the habisphere but I just think they fall a little short sadly.

Thanks to all for all the input, it’s really helped me think through things.

Mr. P

3 Year Member
I have several of the traditional style Exo Enclosures, front doors. I rip the top screens out and make a new top out of acrylic and silicone it into the top frame. Here is a 18x18x12 that I recently finished.

Enclosure.jpg

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks Mr P, I like the added help from the acrylic for a raise in humidity and safety for the tarsal claws, I think I might try that with an old lid I have, I would like an area of mesh to be honest as I’d like LEDs for plant growth, uh oh..I don’t actually know if they work through plastic?
I have four 18” sq exoterras here anyway so I just need a shelf wide enough and I’ll do a bank of two and two, should look nice, I’d like to cover the back and make it look like stone.
Thanks, I’ll try and get the mesh out tomorrow!

sschind

3 Year Member
Hi sschind thanks for that also, i had an aquarium with a narrow opening and that was a nightmare too, I hated any maintenance with it, I too have pictured them on the shelf and thought it’s o.k to drop a feeder in with the clearance I have but any more would need pulling out onto another surface, then there’s the wiring etc etc, so I think they would look stunning and I can picture them with the moonlight led, in practical and safety terms I think they are a no go and I will rethink the front opening exoterras, which I have, I just wanted something like the habisphere but I just think they fall a little short sadly.

Thanks to all for all the input, it’s really helped me think through things.

No problem, when I had my store and the rep first brought them in I told him the exact same thing. They look great but access is a real pain. I did bring in one and set it up on my counter with some sort of tarantula and another one to try to sell but when I explained it all to everyone in the end I never sold either of them except for at a big discount.

I like front opening tanks and the one that Mr. P pictured is nice. Are yours the 1 door or the split door type (I think zilla cages have 1 door and exos and zoo meds have 2) Obviously you need to be careful if you have a species that is prone to bolting

Last edited:

sschind

3 Year Member
Thanks Mr P, I like the added help from the acrylic for a raise in humidity and safety for the tarsal claws, I think I might try that with an old lid I have, I would like an area of mesh to be honest as I’d like LEDs for plant growth, uh oh..I don’t actually know if they work through plastic?
I have four 18” sq exoterras here anyway so I just need a shelf wide enough and I’ll do a bank of two and two, should look nice, I’d like to cover the back and make it look like stone.
Thanks, I’ll try and get the mesh out tomorrow!

I am not a plant expert but I think you would be fine with the LEDs on an acrylic top. I know glass filters out UVB rays (for reptiles) but I don't think its an issue with plants. Make sure you get thick enough acrylic. LEDs don't get hot enough to melt it but if you place them directly on the tops you might get sagging with thinner lids. If you are doing a bank I would suggest a fixture suspended above the whole row to make it easier to remove the tanks if you need to. They make a nice looking display.

Tabitha

3 Year Member
Thanks @sschind i really want those tanks but won’t go for them I think, after everything that has been said and thinking about using them they just don’t quite to it so will go exoterras with replaced mesh and make a rock wall backdrop with ledges and tunnels x 4 although I want more like x 6:) but I’m running out of room!
I have searched for a glass tank not so deep at an exoterras and a little longer and with more glass and less black edging etc but I can’t find anything here unless I make them but not sure I have the courage.
Thanks all, it’s helped a lot.

Latest posts