• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

One genus, two different species, two different growth rates

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A few day’s ago I mentioned that my grammostola porteri had recently molted, well it has been 5 years since I got this specimen as well as my G. pulchripes, so I thought it was a good time to create a thread detailing their growth rate over the past few years. My original intention was to use before and after pictures of both species, but I can’t find the photos I wanted to use, but most of you know what most NW slings look like.

The Grammostola genus is known for a few different species due to ease of care, but one thing that many newer keepers may not understand yet is variations in growth rate among different species within the same genus and even individuals within the same species for that matter.

Grammostolas as a whole are known for their slow growth rate, yet some may not be aware some grow faster than others including within the same species as stated above.

I bought these two as 1/2” DLS slings back in 2016. The G. porteri molted once in 2016 a month after getting it and didn’t molt again until early 2018 and has molted every year since and is now just slightly over an inch and looks just like most NW terrestrial slings.

2519B9D9-DEE9-46E0-8008-B95A70D15565.jpeg

my G. pulchripes was also the same size and looked very similar to the G. porteri, but when it was the same size as the G. porteri it was already beginning to show show its colors. I got them both at the same time at the same place. Now my G. pulchripes is over 3” DLS and looks like an adult already.

5A3DC3B8-E9D7-4FBF-ACEB-45FF2882D585.jpeg

The thread isn’t as detailed as I’d hoped, but both of these pictures were taken today. Both species are excellent and growth rate should never be a deal breaker.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
In my limited experience of a few months, I have noticed G. pulchripes growth outpacing my G. roseas and G. pulchras. Although I think the pulchripes can grow a bit larger up to about 7 inches I remember reading, so that may be part of it.
I am glad we are talking about this.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
G. pulchripes is definitely the exception to the "G grows as slow as B" rule. I have a few G pulchripes and they seem to grow at medium rate, in my experience, compared to other species.

Latest posts