• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Omothymus schioedtei - sex please

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Thistles or @Casey K. It's around 2.5 " and rarely seen so this might be my only chance
DSCF2109 (2).JPG

Last edited:

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He's a little man. Look forward to green!

Thank you. I'm sad as my previous one turned out male too and I was so hoping for a female this time, still they are beautiful when they go green.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Thank you. I'm sad as my previous one turned out male too and I was so hoping for a female this time, still they are beautiful when they go green.
I've raised a few, and my first group of 3 were all male. I have 3 now, and at least 2 are female. Some people say that this species is male-heavy, but I dunno. It could have been bad luck for me. So far I'm at a reasonable ratio even though the first group was really disappointing! Sorry to bear bad news.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've raised a few, and my first group of 3 were all male. I have 3 now, and at least 2 are female. Some people say that this species is male-heavy, but I dunno. It could have been bad luck for me. So far I'm at a reasonable ratio even though the first group was really disappointing! Sorry to bear bad news.

Will you be breeding them? It's odd the way some species seem to produce more of one sex than the other.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's the hope. I'd be curious to see the sex ratios if I kept and raised a sac. I might be tempted to do it.

It would also be good to see what ratio survived kept in the same conditions.

Thistles

3 Year Member
It would also be good to see what ratio survived kept in the same conditions.
I've never kept a whole sac, but I have kept large groups. Like I had an Augacephalus breyeri sac that I kept about 3 dozen from, all in similar deli cups. I lost a couple, but not many. Maybe... 3? Something like that? Augacephalus are really delicate, too, so it wasn't bad at all. Same thing with OBTs. I kept 3-4 dozen of them and didn't lose any. I had a Brachypelma albopilosum "Nicaragua" sac molt to 2i this week and I plan to hang on to a couple dozen so I have "friendly" freebies for people and friends, so that'll give me another thing to watch. The problem is I always just slowly sell or trade or give away these holdbacks without keeping a whole sac to sex.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The only experience I've had of breeding were the jumping spiders. From 3 sacs I had 174 babies emerge, from the 1st sac I sold 10 (of which 3 died) and kept 2 (1 died) and of both the other 2 sacs all babies died. Not a very good result but they were so minute, barely 2mm, and so little info about them.
I always said I wouldn't breed Ts as I'd had enough of the hassles when I was breeding snakes. In some ways I'd like to give it a try, I nearly bought a C. laeta the other day in the hope of a male for my girl but decided against it.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Yeah, jumpers are soo small! That would be a hard one. Lotta babies needing a lotta tiny food. I have a Heterothele gabonensis communal thing going on, and those babies do well because I have the tank set up with a lot of critters in the substrate. They have dwarf isopods and springtails in there, and I dump in fruit flies for them. That's a lot easier than how I have most of my tarantulas set up for feeding itty bitty things. I used fruit flies for my widow slings, too. Breeding Ts is easier than snakes though, imo.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I used tiny pinhead crickets but even they were maybe too big. It was an experience though and although mum died, I think 3 sacs was just too much for her, at least I have been able to watch her daughter grow from a tiny black dot into such a pretty girl and I made a few £s from the ones I sold.

Thistles

3 Year Member
So overall still a good experience =) 3 sacs is bound to take a toll. I think the same sometimes happens to widows. They just have so many sacs they run out of steam.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She was a really good mum, guarding each sac until they were ready to emerge. As each sac hatched she'd come out and eat but then return to them. Of course she was WC so I've no idea how old she was and they don't live very long.